Self cancelling turn signals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self cancelling turn signals.

My turn signals don't self cancel ('83 750E) and I often forget to check them. I was nearly smucked a couple of times recently when driving by side streets or drive ways. I can't tell if this bike came with a cancelling device but I would suspect that it did based on other posts i've read. Can anybody confirm.

Doing a search for an aftermarket device i read about products from Kissan and SignalTech. Has anyone had any experience putting in an aftermarket gizmo. Any recommendations?

Cheers all.
    Spyug.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2008, 09:28 AM.

Nope

No, your bike doesn't have self-canceling turn signals. When I'm riding my '80 750 around town, I usually signal with my arm. It's easy to remember that it's sticking out in the air!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Well, just because Chucky's '80 750 doesn't have self-cancelers doesn't mean that Spyug's '83 doesn't have them either.

I am under the impression that most of the larger models had them by the '82 model year.

Spyug, examine your turn signal switch. Are there one or two buttons to control the high/low beam and signals? Do you see the words "Auto Turn" printed just to the right of the signal button? Are there just three distinct positions of the signal switch or are there five? If there are five, the outer ones are spring-loaded and bring the switch back to positions 2&4. The clincher would be the presence of the control unit under the seat. The location might be different on your 750, but it should be on or near the battery box, right next to the flasher unit. It is about 1" x 2" x 2.5" and has a pigtail with 6 or 7 wires in it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Kisan

Originally posted by spyug View Post
        My turn signals don't self cancel ('83 750E) and I often forget to check them. I was nearly smucked a couple of times recently when driving by side streets or drive ways. I can't tell if this bike came with a cancelling device but I would suspect that it did based on other posts i've read. Can anybody confirm.

Doing a search for an aftermarket device i read about products from Kissan and SignalTech. Has anyone had any experience putting in an aftermarket gizmo. Any recommendations?

Cheers all.
        Spyug.
        I bought the Kisan unit and installed it in my bike. It is a fairly straightforward process, especially if you have some knowledge of bike electrical systems (I didn't, but have a lot more now). It also gives you running lights and modulates the brake light when you brake. My initial ineptitude aside, it isn't real difficult to install. The self-cancelling is timed by seconds, as opposed to calculated by distance, but the timing is extended when you use either brake, so it doesn't shut off when you are at a light.

Overall, I like it a lot. I think it cost about $120 all in after shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Well, just because Chucky's '80 750 doesn't have self-cancelers doesn't mean that Spyug's '83 doesn't have them either.

I am under the impression that most of the larger models had them by the '82 model year.
          That's true!! But, it doesn't change the fact that his doesn't. See, in order for a bike to have self-canceling turn signals, it needs both a turn signal relay and a turn signal control unit. My 750 doesn't have a turn signal control unit....and neither does his. However, your "impression" could still be right.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
          X