Harness for a 1979 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harness for a 1979 GS1000

Is there a source for new harnesses for a 1979 GS1000, or do I need to find a salvage one? I have an intermittent short somewhere in the lighting circuits that took out my R/R and stator. Pulling the old harness apart will be a real mess, as well as the lighting switches, ignition switch, kill switch, etc. The PO "redid" all the wiring and connectors, but confidence in his work is not high. If someone like Painless Wiring makes one, that might be worth it, but if I'm looking at salvage, I might be better off just troubleshooting the harness I have.
    1979 GS 1000

Big gamble buying secondhand and over here I'd have to sell a kidney to buy a NOS one. Why not make up a complete harness yourself? I'm the world's worst sparky but have done quite a few harnesses and the 1000 is pretty straightforward. No need to follow the same wire colours on the diagram - even do it all in one colour for a challenge.

I reckon I'm pretty slow but could build one on the bike in a long afternoon.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If it was me

I did a quick check at alfasport, and it doesn't appear these GS1000 harnesses are available.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

I would get a clean (if possible original harness)

and compare it to the harness your P.O. did.

Change anything that doesn't look right. This seems to be a good source for spades and connectors.

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Just changing connector ends should not create a short(unless a wire was swapped in a connector; double check this against the reference harness). Grounding of the R/R can create burnt wires that are not actual shorts so this may not really be a harness problem. Make sure your charging system is up to snuff using the stator papers.

My 81 GS750EX had burnt ground wires and blackened connectors and after changing and making the required grounds normal function was restored without any electrical component changes.

Posplayr

Comment

Suzuki does not sell the GS1000 main wiring harness here in the US, so you are out of luck there. My first post on this site was trying to source the OEM Harness colored wires since mine has suffered a couple of meltdowns in its day. I found the best deal was to buy a unmolested used one on Ebay and replace the sections in your original ones with the exact same colored wires.

As you know replacing the main harness won't help if the short exists in one those switches which plug into the main inside the headlight shell. Green n white stator wires goes to headlight switch.

If you need the remenants of a used GS1000 harness, let me know.
        Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Working...
        X