intake boots...where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intake boots...where to buy?

i know this was a recent topic, but i'll be darned if i can find it..

i just know that my intake boots are going to fall apart once i remove the carbs...they are flaking, and i am certain they are not flexible any more. so....bikebandit has them at 24 bucks apiece.

seems steep. any suggestions for a nearly broke brother?

Flatoutmotorcycles.com has them for 19.87. Flatout is usually about as cheap as you are going to get, but their service seems to be hit or miss. In my experience they are fairly slow and are not very good at providing feedback on your order. Shipping is a little on the high side as well compared to BikeBandit's flat rate. Others on this board swear by them as the best thing since sliced bread.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
      i know this was a recent topic, but i'll be darned if i can find it..

i just know that my intake boots are going to fall apart once i remove the carbs...they are flaking, and i am certain they are not flexible any more. so....bikebandit has them at 24 bucks apiece.

seems steep. any suggestions for a nearly broke brother?
      I bought mine at flatoutmotorcycles.com. Ordered Saturday the 8/30th, and received today 9/8th. $19 dollars and some change each, $91.98 shipping and all for all four. To me, thats still not cheap, but whats a man to do ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
        not very good at providing feedback on your order.
        Yep, I never heard anything until UPS called yesterday telling me that a package would be delievered today that had to be signed for.

Comment

thanks guys...at least that is a bit of a savings...

why the heck are these stupid things so expensive.

Comment

saw some on e-bay or feebay as some call it..http://cgi.ebay.com/SUZUKI-GS850-GS-...QQcmdZViewItem

not sure if they'll fit your bike though

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Porosky View Post
              saw some on e-bay or feebay as some call it..http://cgi.ebay.com/SUZUKI-GS850-GS-...QQcmdZViewItem

not sure if they'll fit your bike though
              Nope, they won't fit a GS650.

Used intake boots are going to be in just as bad a shape. You have to bite the bullet and get new ones. The good news is that they'll be good for the next 20 years or so.

Make sure you get o-rings, too.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i looked at those...and then looked at a schematic...it looks like those boots, on a 1979, lead from the air filter to the carbs??? as opposed to from the carbs to the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Nope, they won't fit a GS650.

Used intake boots are going to be in just as bad a shape. You have to bite the bullet and get new ones. The good news is that they'll be good for the next 20 years or so.

Make sure you get o-rings, too.
                  yeah, i hear you bwringer. i'll bite the bullet...after i put the bike to rest for the season and have time to go through the carbs and orings...for the first time.

and isn't it your tutorial on basscliff's welcome that i read? thanks for that. i hope i can actually do it when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by boathead View Post
                    i looked at those...and then looked at a schematic...it looks like those boots, on a 1979, lead from the air filter to the carbs??? as opposed to from the carbs to the engine?
                    No, the boots in the eBay auction are the ones that fit between the carbs and the engine. On a 1979 GS850.

There are also different boots between the airbox and the carbs. These almost always need to be replaced too at some point, but they're only $9 or $10.

Note how the seller has cleverly screwed up the exposure in the photos so you can't tell what kind of shape they're in. All you see is four black blobs...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Note how the seller has cleverly screwed up the exposure in the photos so you can't tell what kind of shape they're in. All you see is four black blobs...
                      I noticed that as well, so I used an image editing program to increase the contrast and brightness of the images, still can't tell a whole lot. But, the first two on the left appear to have a big crack between the metal and rubber.

Comment

anyways, it would seem penny wise and pound foolish to try for those off ebay. even a winning bid of 29 plus the 11 for shipping, brings me to half of a brand new set from flatout...i'd just as soon spend the xtra to be sure, especially if they last 20 years. even though i doubt i have 20 years left to test it. hahaha.

Comment

I got a quote for 10 bucks apiece from the dealership today? What am I missing here...are these prices you are talking about for something more than just the intake tubes? They said "They will be 20 bucks each" but they meant for both right tubes and both left tubes in 2 tube increments.

Comment

If you want the intake to carbs ask for prices on the following:

Right side, 2 req. - 13110-47010
                            Left side, 2 req. - 13120-47010

For carb to airbox ask for pricing on:

tube inner, 2 req. - 13881-34200
                            tube outer, 2 req. - 13882-34200

Someone might be confusing the two items.

The best I have found were at cheapcycleparts.com, 8.14 for carb to airbox each and 19.20 each for carb to intake.

You might also consider new clamps, they're not expensive and I found on my GS750 that they had been tweaked a lot over the years.

good luck!

steve a

Comment

Working...
                            X