mystery fuel petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mystery fuel petcock

Hey guys, I just received a 1980 GS750L to work on and the first thing I found messed up was the petcock on the tank. The problem is I can't find any petcock on suzuki's micro fiche that looks like this thing. It has a round screen and the rubber gasket that seals the tank is oval and has 2 cross ribs. It appears that this thing has no fuel lever to switch it from prime to on or reserve unless you stick a screwdriver in there. Does this sound right or am I missing something here? Could someone tell me how to send a pic of this thing. I am sure one of you guys can identify this thing. Thanks

Junk

NO, you're not missing anything...actually, yes, you are; you're missing a decent petcock!

If you look on the fiche for the 1980 GS750L (has to be '80), you'll see it in all its glory. They put that petcock on many of the 1980 models because there is so little clearance.

If you do a search here on the forum, you'll find dozens of threads discussing its lack of merit. If you choose to do so, you can put on a Pingle...and there's lots of information about how to install one.

Also, if the one on your bike has a reserve, it's not OEM, because that's another lovely feature of the '80 petcock....no reserve. Since you have no lever, I can't imagine that you don't have the "real thing".
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Check the Fuel Tank section of the parts manual

44300-47270
      COCK ASSY, FUEL
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
        NO, you're not missing anything...actually, yes, you are; you're missing a decent petcock!

If you look on the fiche for the 1980 GS750L (has to be '80), you'll see it in all its glory. They put that petcock on many of the 1980 models because there is so little clearance.

If you do a search here on the forum, you'll find dozens of threads discussing its lack of merit. If you choose to do so, you can put on a Pingle...and there's lots of information about how to install one.

Also, if the one on your bike has a reserve, it's not OEM, because that's another lovely feature of the '80 petcock....no reserve. Since you have no lever, I can't imagine that you don't have the "real thing".
        Is the clearance the only reason that one from an '81 GS750L could not be used? Or could it?
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I looked at the fiche for the 1980 gs750l and it looks to me like it has an oval screen. This one has a round screen. I even have a newer petcock from a suzuki that has an oval screen and it wont fit in the hole in the tank and the 2 mounting holes have a wider centerline dimension than the newer one. THIS IS WEIRD!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
            Is the clearance the only reason that one from an '81 GS750L could not be used? Or could it?
            No, it's unique because of its size and center to center bolt spread. There is at least one generic that's been made (I used to see them on Ebay) but the best bet is probably to either get a new OEM petcock (there are no rebuild kits available, that I know of) or get a Pingel (and adapter plate)....which solves the problem long term because it is a high quality part that has the added benefit of having a reserve.

This is assuming that his old one isn't working right. If it is, replacing it with a Pingel will be the only thing that would be worthwhile. Otherwise, he might as well keep the old one.
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 09-08-2008, 10:35 PM.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I bought mine at z1 enterprises it was less than $50. You want the one with 50mm bolt spacing.

Comment

Get a Pingel. Bolts right up. Block off ther vacuum line.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Its good to know that Pingel makes one for this bike. By the time you buy the petcock and adapter you've spent over $100. To me its hard to justify spending twice the price of the oem one.

Comment

I used to be a Pingel skeptic until I bought one.
                    Pass more gas!
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I used to be a Pingel skeptic until I bought one.
                      Pass more gas!
                      For your heavily modded bike this makes sense but would you see that much improvement on a stock bike?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                        For your heavily modded bike this makes sense but would you see that much improvement on a stock bike?
                        Uh no
                        It sure looks purty though.

Comment

Working...
                        X