New guy with questions. 82 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy with questions. 82 1100E

What a great website! Thanks to you who have worked so hard.

I have had an 82 1100E for a couple months. It has 28000 miles on it if the mileage is correct.
    I recently bought a used V & H 4-1. Seller said it was for 750, 850 1000, & 1100's. I just took it out of the box today and noticed that the V & H header pipes were thinner than the stock header pipes, (V & H 1 3/8", stock 1 5/8" outside.) I haven't taken my stock exhaust off my bike yet and am concerned that I may have the wrong V & H pipes. Are V & H pipe diameters smaller than stock?

Front forks: I checked the air pressure on the front forks, 0. I tried to put in the recommended (7.5 lbs) air pressure but it would not take any air at all. I changed the valve core and got the same result. Any ideas?
    Thanks - Mike
    Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2008, 09:21 PM.

I don't know about your exhaust. But your lack of air could be due to your fork seals being shot and not holding air or fork oil for that matter. If your going to replace the seals you might as well replace the springs and flush the old fluid while your at it since you will have to remove the forks to replace the seals.
    You may want to check the o-ring that seal the top of the fork cap. If you unscrew the top that the air valve is in there is an o-ring on it that seal the tube. If that looks good look for oil on the tubes where they slide into each other, slide up the dust cap and see if there is oil there. Under the dust cap are the seals. Good luck

Comment

Thanks, for your advice. I haven't noticed any oil seepage or high marks on the forks. It just feels soft up front. I can't hear air going in or leaking while trying to fill it. It just seems blocked. It may end up a winter project. - Mike

Comment

Mike,

Rather than putting air in the forks try replacing the fork springs with Progressive Suspension or Race Tech springs. The stiffer springs will improve fork performance noticeably. This is one of the best bang-for-the-buck improvements you can do to these bikes. You can also disable the anti-dive mechanism which by most accounts is ineffective anyway. You can do this by swapping the single banjo bolt on the anti-dive units with the double banjo bolt on the brake calipers. Remove the hose from the calipers to the anti-dive units and block the hole on the anti-dive units with a regular bolt. While you have the fork springs out flush and change the fork oil. If you want to take it a step further install Race Tech Cartridge Emulators for even better fork action.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks, Joe. I will probably end up doing that. Does anyone out there with experience changing out stock pipes to V & H have an answer to the pipes being more narrow than stock? Is that typical or do I have the wrong pipe? - Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hough View Post
            Thanks, Joe. I will probably end up doing that. Does anyone out there with experience changing out stock pipes to V & H have an answer to the pipes being more narrow than stock? Is that typical or do I have the wrong pipe? - Mike
            Mike,

I believe the stock pipes have double wall header pipes while the V&H is single wall. Regardless, numerous GSR members run V&H pipes on their GS's with no problems.

Thanks,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

The same V+H pipes fit a number of 750 and 1100's. The stock pipes are double walled so the I.D. will be the same or less then the V+H pipes.
              Ultimately you'll have to put them on to know for sure.

Bill

Comment

OK, Joe. I guess if I take off the old pipes and check to see if the inside diameters of the stock pipes and the V & H are close to the same, it's probably the correct pipe for my bike. - Mike

Comment

Thanks, Bill. I think I am OK. When I saw the difference in diameter, I thought I might have the wrong pipe. Do you know if the stock header gaskets fit the V & H pipe? That's what I have ordered. - Mike

Comment

The stock seals will work fine, it's a bit of work to get the old ones out.

Bill

Comment

Thanks again. I think you guys have answered my questions and given me some good advice. I' going to log off and go find something to eat. - Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X