Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would the carbs on my bike be the same as others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would the carbs on my bike be the same as others?

mine look just like these, but only 2, could I just take the outside 2 and stick em together?

i could rebuild a set and just swap?

more for personal knowledge really,,,

I would say no. They will fit a 750cc 16valve engine. Carbs are designed and calibrated for a specific size engine. Even if they look similar on the outside the internals are different. Its like trying to take the TBI unit off a Geo metro 1.0L and put it on a 5.7L suburban..it ain't gonna work. If you need a set of carbs why not just by some that will fit your bike?

Comment

well mine is an 8 valve 400, which should be pretty darn close to half a 750,

and the odds of finding a set of carbs for my bike are a LOT less thanthose for a 750

so there are 2 reasons.

and that analogy is a tad extreme, my 83 tscc 400 gs is much more similar to a 750 tscc than a metro and a suburban
      Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2008, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Won't work You will have problems with the linkage for one
        Better off fitting a set from a GS 450- GS500 any of the twins
        Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2008, 03:51 AM.

Comment

and the odds of finding a set of carbs for my bike are a LOT less than those for a 750
          Really..I would have thought that parts were available for your bike. Perhaps not locally but ebay should gave something available.

Ebay item # 4647114690 is for a NOS carb from a seller in singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by donimo View Post
            mine look just like these, but only 2, could I just take the outside 2 and stick em together?
            Well, you could, if you didn't want to go anywhere.

In the rack of carbs from the 700, the throttle cable attaches to #3, and you propose not using that one.

Now for some background info: what is wrong with your carbs that you are looking for others?

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
              Really..I would have thought that parts were available for your bike. Perhaps not locally but ebay should gave something available.

Ebay item # 4647114690 is for a NOS carb from a seller in singapore.
              crazy shipping from that guy though...

most places, evev in canada where it was sold, tell me there IS no 1983 gs400e. and if they do have parts they are for the 70's gs400, and i dunno if they are the same. mine puts out 44hp, the 2v 400 puts out 36, might be diff carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Well, you could, if you didn't want to go anywhere.

In the rack of carbs from the 700, the throttle cable attaches to #3, and you propose not using that one.

Now for some background info: what is wrong with your carbs that you are looking for others?

i think my carbs needed cleaning, I like to have spares. plus mine are kinda rough looking, rusty caps, pitted...

Comment

Working...
                X