airbox squatting on my battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox squatting on my battery

He guys I have a question...was out for a nice ride this weekend and had my silly screws holding my battery terminal wires on come loose and give me a hell of a time reaching in there to josle the wires.

Has anyone made up concept of a quick connect and disconnect for the pos and negative terminals on the battery I would appreciate not having to remove my airbox each time I need to check battery connections.

....its a biotch!

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
    He guys I have a question...was out for a nice ride this weekend and had my silly screws holding my battery terminal wires on come loose and give me a hell of a time reaching in there to josle the wires.

Has anyone made up concept of a quick connect and disconnect for the pos and negative terminals on the battery I would appreciate not having to remove my airbox each time I need to check battery connections.

....its a biotch!
    Personally, I would rather find better hardware to secure the terminals than introduce another connection that can corrode and cause problems.

One other solution, if you can't find better hardware, is to get a bike with easier access to the battery.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Battery connections aren't supposed to come loose, and they don't.
      You got some bogus Chinese hardware in there?
      Wires too short?
      Something is not quite right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My battery access is also like getting into Fort Knox. Removed the airbox and replaced it with a single pod filter that made battery access much easier but then the bike ran like sh!t. best solution was to fix the charging system with a good RR. Sort out all the BS connectors and wires. Now I only need to get at the battery twice a year. Take it out in the fall and install it in the spring.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Steve....that is so mean....

I suppose add LOCKTITE to the thing to keep the vibration from working the screws loose the wires have slack...I have a three ground on the neg battery terminal from my grounding frenzy and the small screw on that guy is hard to snug up. I had this happen on my last battery as well until my lack of proper grounding melted the terminal on the battery. Those connectors I screw through just seem so fragile and I don't want a repeat of my last battery...

its the ole screw threading into a nut deal... very **** poor IMO for design... there is some small hand Japanese person laughing about my delima with having to remove the entire airbox just to check my battery.

I'll find something, though corroding not my worry as I intend to clean these connections religiously to avoid just that very thing.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2008, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X