No announcement yet.

start going question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, if i don't rebuild it, it's parked for the year.. i can't afford to replace it.

Comment

I think we have found a chronic issue on the GS1000G/1100G models. It seems like the vast majority of starter clutch issues that people post on the board are with these two particular models, which weren't made in all that great a number compared to other GS models.

The starter clutch assembly on these is the same as the 850G. I wonder if the added torque from the bigger engines is too much for the design to handle long term....
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I had my starter act up on my bike back in the late winter/early spring. It would start by spinning and not engaging the starter clutch. It would do this in the morning when cold, after 4-5 attempts it would finally catch and start. It would be fine the rest of the day. Then it would do it in the morning and after sitting for long periods of time, short fuel stops would be fine. Finally it stopped all together working. As I didn't have a puller, I took it to a shop I know and trust, upon removal it was discovered that the three bolts holding the starter clutch to the generator rotor had sheared off. I went to a bone-yard and picked up a full rotor and starter clutch for about $75.00 bucks and was only charged $25 or so for the labor. You might be able to find one cheaper, but I only can find one bone-yard which is within Philadelphia.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          I think we have found a chronic issue on the GS1000G/1100G models. It seems like the vast majority of starter clutch issues that people post on the board are with these two particular models, which weren't made in all that great a number compared to other GS models.

The starter clutch assembly on these is the same as the 850G. I wonder if the added torque from the bigger engines is too much for the design to handle long term....
          I dunno if its the same as the 850G or not actually. Never looked up official Zook part numbers, but i think i recall looking it up on BB and they werent the same. Just as the Stator is not the same, nor the cover. There were a few things on the block that they attempted to beef up on the 1100G, tho apparently, it didnt work to well.

Seuadr:

If you have to, for now, rebuild it. But I strongly suggest replacing the whole unit when you can or advising potential new buyer to do so. Not only is the having to bump start it a PITA, but what *could* happen when that thing finally gives, I shudder to think about..

Comment

well, with it seeming to randomly catch when going down the road, i have to do something just to get it to storage for the year. wether it's now or in a couple months, mo storeage is an hour away, and i don't have a truck nor trailer

Comment

well, i still haven't had a chance to get the starter out and look at it.. it's been raining here for the past two days hard enough we are in a flood warning till monday.. but i have been looking around on ebay.. anyone know if the start/idle gear from an 80 1100g would work.

Comment

ok.. there is good news and bad news..

the good news is. every gear in there looks brand new. also, when i push on the part with the magnet, i pust against compression and it rolls over fine. no bolts sheared that i can see. i have all the parts in the pic i've included save for 10.. i think that is on the other side of the armature, though, and 1 set of 5, 6, and 7 .. those three peices missing, is that enough to make it so the bike won't engage the starter? also, i noticed that they aren't in the housing.. i haven't put it on the center stand yet to check and see if they are in the oil pan.. i hope they haven't migrated anywhere dangerous..

Comment

Did you remove your rotor (the part with the magnet)? The rotor is not shown in your exploded view - sits infront of parts in Fig. 10. Until I removed my rotor I could not see the damage. I could not see the 3 sheered bolts as they are installed from the backside, with rotor and starter clutch off the bike. All mine looked brand new also - but I would bet they were installed at the factory (based on how hard it was to remove the rotor). #5, 6, and 7 are parts (3 of each) that are needed. These parts are what make contact with the shaft and allow the starter to turn engine over.
                  85 1150E

Comment

i did remove it yes the bolts are intact. but 1 set of 5 ,6 and 7 is missing, so i think that mystery is solved.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                      i did remove it yes the bolts are intact. but 1 set of 5 ,6 and 7 is missing, so i think that mystery is solved.
                      Is there a trick to getting the starter clutch off? or is it easy once the rotor is off?

Not to jack your thread but i'm about to replace my starter clutch and wanted your advice.

Thanks.

Comment

real simple. take the gear from the starter that connects to the big gear off, and the pin should just slide out. then, take the 22mm nut off the shaft. i just rotated the whole assembly clockwise a couple times while pulling and it slipped right off. be sure to pay attention to the washers.

Comment

Where did they go?

I would search for the missing parts. All 3 sets fell on the floor when I got my rotor off.
                          I cannot see the starter clutch ever working with only 2 sets. I might be wrong - If I am , someone please correct me.
                          I find the whole starter clutch to be quite interesting.
                          It's my understanding that the 3 rollers make contact (and pinch) the crank shaft - thus turning over the engine.
                          Maybe I am just used to automobiles. I originally was exspecting a bad starter bendex (drive). Starter clutch does the same in a different way.
                          85 1150E

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Conlan View Post
                            I would search for the missing parts. All 3 sets fell on the floor when I got my rotor off.
                            I cannot see the starter clutch ever working with only 2 sets. I might be wrong - If I am , someone please correct me.
                            I find the whole starter clutch to be quite interesting.
                            It's my understanding that the 3 rollers make contact (and pinch) the crank shaft - thus turning over the engine.
                            Maybe I am just used to automobiles. I originally was exspecting a bad starter bendex (drive). Starter clutch does the same in a different way.
                            it was gone before i pulled the clutch apart i believe. i had a tray in my lap under the whole assembly when i pulled it apart. i think the lack of the 3rd set is why my starter wouldn't work

Comment

Working...
                            X