Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any special tools for the carb adjuster screws.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any special tools for the carb adjuster screws.

The screws that have set nuts on them for synchronizing the carbs. any tips on how to set the screw and lock it down with the nut without moving the setting? Any specialty tools, or ways to modify my own would be helpful. I have the guages, and intend on checking the carbs. I can just see trying to lock down those screws and having a fit when they move.

haha, I go through the same thing when I set my valve clearances. Without the proper tool it takes 3 tries per valve to get it to end up in the correct place but I'm dealing with ten-thousands of an inch here. To answer your question there is a tool available from Suzuki.

Steve

Comment

Great. Anyone know the part #

I'll go to the local suzuki dealer and check. Anyone know the part #. Without it I'm probably going not going to get far. They usually look at me like I'm nuts when I ask about things like that. Unless your asking for an air filter or something they usually don't know what your talking about.

Comment

My carbs are mikuni flatslide (38 mm) and what i do is take a thinwall 12mm socket put it over the nut and clamp longnose visegrips around the socket. I then put the phillips head scrwedriver throught the socket hole turn the vise grips and lock it with the screwdiver. The tool will be easier but this works better than nothing

Comment

The part # is 09913-14910 for my 1981 GS1100E. The tool looks to be a socket welded to a hollow pipe. Within the hollow pipe there is a shaft with a screw driver bit on the end.

Let me know how much they want for it. I may be interested in one myself.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

K&L supply has them also. Parts unlimited and distributors like Rocky have them...may be cheaper.

Comment

Re: Any special tools for the carb adjuster screws.

I've always done it with just a screwdriver and wrench. I think its mostly a matter of practice and acquiring the touch for it. Never felt the need to buy a special tool.

Earl

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
              The screws that have set nuts on them for synchronizing the carbs. any tips on how to set the screw and lock it down with the nut without moving the setting? Any specialty tools, or ways to modify my own would be helpful. I have the guages, and intend on checking the carbs. I can just see trying to lock down those screws and having a fit when they move.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Oh but Earl you have not had the pleasure of working on cbx`s 8O 8)

Comment

But I would like to. :-) I want one, but wifey would KILL me twice. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by cbxchris
                  Oh but Earl you have not had the pleasure of working on cbx`s 8O 8)
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I usually just use a wrench and a screwdriver but I really like Rocky's idea. I think I'll try that one next time

Comment

CBX.... someday maybee.

Someday I'll drop 10k for a bike. A CBX or a Z1R-TC would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by VStan
                        I usually just use a wrench and a screwdriver but I really like Rocky's idea. I think I'll try that one next time
                        I didnt see rockys idea, what was it

Comment

wow, had a minor brain fart there. don't know where I got the name Rcoky from, probably another posting. It was your idea Skip

Comment

I found the perfect thing to rig up.

I found the perfect thing to rig up. My set nut is 8mm. Actually a little smaller. I found that one of those screw drivers that has the removable shaft is essentialy an 8mm deep well on both ends. Its even a bit smaller just like the set nut. I used a 5/16 drill to punch all the way through. Then I cut an inch off the end that was slightly rounded by the drill. I Think next I'll sacrifice an 11mm or 7/16 wrench and J/B weld it on. Once I figure out how to run my bike with the tank raised I should be abble to get it ballanced. Thanks to Skip for the deep well idea. Soory Srivet. I didn't buy that tool from Suzuki I'm just a cheap bastard when it comes to this stuff.

Comment

in tips ad tricks there are suggestions for quickly made tanks to synk your carbs with.

Comment

Working...
                              X