Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally fixed my #3 black & sooty plug...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally fixed my #3 black & sooty plug...

During the process of tuning my newly cleaned/rebuilt carbs on my GS850GLZ, I found that the #3 plug was ALWAYS black & sooty.

A previous thread gives all the details: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=132224

Anyway, I found the problem:

Thinking back to when I dis-assembled the carbs, I remembered having trouble getting one of the jet needle seats out. In fact, I kinda buggered up the end a bit & had to use a small rat-tailed file to gently remove some raised edges on the ID at the "seat" end.

When I re-installed the jet needles back into the slide assemblies, I also "raised" each needle .040", by removing the little plasitc spacer (.110" thick) & replacing it with 3 washers (total thickness of .070"). I did this on all 4 slide assemblies.

Well... apparently my "gentle filing" had the end-effect of raising the needle about .030". I replaced the 3 washers on the #3 needle with a plastic spacer that measured .100".

Voila!! The black sooty plug disappeared!! I'm still tuning the carbs & waiting for my Morgan Carbtune to arrive so i can sync them, but the excessively rich condition on #3 is now gone.

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
    During the process of tuning my newly cleaned/rebuilt carbs on my GS850GLZ, I found that the #3 plug was ALWAYS black & sooty.

A previous thread gives all the details: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=132224

Anyway, I found the problem:

Thinking back to when I dis-assembled the carbs, I remembered having trouble getting one of the jet needle seats out. In fact, I kinda buggered up the end a bit & had to use a small rat-tailed file to gently remove some raised edges on the ID at the "seat" end.

When I re-installed the jet needles back into the slide assemblies, I also "raised" each needle .040", by removing the little plasitc spacer (.110" thick) & replacing it with 3 washers (total thickness of .070"). I did this on all 4 slide assemblies.

Well... apparently my "gentle filing" had the end-effect of raising the needle about .030". I replaced the 3 washers on the #3 needle with a plastic spacer that measured .100".

Voila!! The black sooty plug disappeared!! I'm still tuning the carbs & waiting for my Morgan Carbtune to arrive so i can sync them, but the excessively rich condition on #3 is now gone.

mike
    Congrats!! funny how that little bit of a difference can make a HUGE difference...lol

Comment

Thanks Mr. hikermikem,

This is very good information. Thanks for sharing your findings and your fix. This will add nicely into the body of information I'm collecting for when I tackle my carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Congrats!! funny how that little bit of a difference can make a HUGE difference...lol
        No kidding!! When you told me about your jet needle washer screw-up it got me to thinking about mine, then I remembered about my little filing job. I didn't track where that needle seat went, but I would bet it's in #3.

Can't wait for the Carbtune to show up - I have 3 bikes waiting to get properly sync'ed!

mike
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Thanks Mr. hikermikem,

This is very good information. Thanks for sharing your findings and your fix. This will add nicely into the body of information I'm collecting for when I tackle my carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Glad this may help you - I know you have an 850 too.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I also found that grinding them down with a grinder increased their thickness. or just raised the edge anyway. Made for a pain to find close to matching ones. I wish I knew where to find the little ones you guys get that fit perfectly. I asked at a couple of radio shacks, and they looked at me like I was insane...lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              I wish I knew where to find the little ones you guys get that fit perfectly. I asked at a couple of radio shacks, and they looked at me like I was insane...lol
              I got mine at the local Radio Shack, but I couldn't find them in a "stand-alone" bag. Where they sell the little nuts & screws, is a bag which contains an "assortment" of flat washers - 20 each of 4 or 5 different sizes. It's the smallest washer in that bag (#4 size I believe).

Those fit perfectly & their thickness ranges from .021" - .024".

Easier then grinding them!

mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...