"floaty rear"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"floaty rear"

I just started noticing this during my normal drive through the mountains. The rear end seems to be really sloppy/floaty. The rear tire still has tread on it, although not a whole ton (enough to be safe on some wetness) and the tire pressure is normal. Same with the front. Some of it could be due to user error, but I've been noticing it more and more lately. The shocks are both the stock 81' 650 shocks/springs. Any suggestions? Would new shocks/springs + tire make a huge difference?

Originally posted by Clayton! View Post
    Would new shocks/springs + tire make a huge difference?
    Like a ten year newer motorcycle, maybe fifteen.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I put a set of Progressive rear shocks/springs on my 750, and it was like riding a different bike. It solved a lot of handling issues I was having. Now maybe for a set of fronts....

Comment

I was having a similar sensation recently and fixed several things to solve it.

First, I replaced the bad front wheel bearings. Yours may not be bad but mine were very bad.

Second, I replaced the bad steering head bearings. Yours may not be bad but mine were very bad.

Third, I replaced the very worn out rear shocks with some Progressive model 12's and mid rate springs. Yours may not be bad but mine were very bad.

Fourth, I replaced both tires with new Bridgestone S11's. Your rear is apparently done as mine was.

Finally I have a bike that doesn't feel like it's going to spit me off at any moment. The one thing that made the biggest difference was the tires. After taking my rear tire off I noticed just how flat it was in the middle. When I was cornering I was just hoovering on that raised corner of the rear tire and apparently that is a bad thing.

So, my suggestion is do the tires and rear shocks. You will be happy you did.

(And, of course check the other things like bearings, too).

Chris

Comment

Check the swingarm for play which is bad swingarm bearings.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When the tire gets worn & square it is very noticable.

Comment

Mine didnt exactly feel floaty but more like it was hinged. Kinda wallowed at speed. It was the head bearings. I didnt realize it is imperative to loosen the lower fork tree clamps before you tighten the head bearing nut until someone here told me . Now it feels pretty solid.

Tires / tires balanced and pressure @ 35psi
              Progressive Fork springs and fresh oil (no air) Preload adjuster & Dampening 2
              Progressive Shocks Preload 2
              Swingarm Bearings
              Chain adjusted and wheels aligned
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X