Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
    I just got my spare clutch basket welded
    Cost just $25 for the welding, no more rattling clutch

Looks like you shimmed the springs?
    Any details?
    Shim sizes, whatever?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I found washers of the right size and thickness to take up the slack in the springs. The lighter springs didnt need much at all, the thicker ones were quite loose. The washers were 1/4" inside diameter, not sure about outside, maybe 5/8".
      I never used an angle ginder before, its a nasty, loud machine, got one at a local hardware store (Canadian Tire) for $29. I might not use it again so I might return it and get my money back
      This spare basket i got was in better shape than the one currently on the bike, so it should be a big difference.

Comment

So it is interesting to know

It looks like you did not change the backing plate but rather just had the rivits welded and spings shimmed. Did you notice a reduction in clutch clatter with only the welding and spring shimming?

That is certanly a lot cheaper than the Gorilla clutch upgrade.

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          It looks like you did not change the backing plate but rather just had the rivits welded and spings shimmed. Did you notice a reduction in clutch clatter with only the welding and spring shimming?

That is certanly a lot cheaper than the Gorilla clutch upgrade.

Posplayr
          I havent installed the basket yet, tomorrow probably.
          This is from a 750, I didnt think the Gorilla kit would fit, their site doesnt say if any of their stuff fits the 750 even though I know some of it does. I know the rivets are different size, mine are 9mm or so.

Comment

Did you get it balanced?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

clutch hub swap

Clutch Hub link gives a nice "how to" swap out the backing plate

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Did you get it balanced?
                No, but i wondered about that, I didnt read or hear of a need to balance it.

Comment

Take my advice, HAVE it BALANCED! Unless, of course, you like riding a grenade around with the pin pulled! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                  X