81'GS-450 and 81' GS-550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81'GS-450 and 81' GS-550

1981 GS-550-T Third cylinder not firing all the time,after inital warm up header pipe is not hot. Will fire eventually on the mid to top end rpm's breaks up a little on the low rpm's. Any answers thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2008, 10:56 PM.

with only that little info you provided i am going to have to guess, big time...

and i am guessing... a bad sparkplug cap
    GS850GT

Comment

pilot circuit on that carb is probably plugged. When was last time you cleaned the carbs?

Comment

Try a new spark plug.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          with only that little info you provided i am going to have to guess, big time...

and i am guessing... a bad sparkplug cap
          Okay some more info. Bought the bike a month ago,owner said it would start and then stop and would leave him cold after a few min. I looked at the petcock and it was not pulling a vacuum after I removed it from the tank and no gas kept flowing in prime pos. Off the tank I tried sucking on the petcock and blowing with my mouth in all positions,nothin. Disassembled the petcock and found the o ring jammed doen in the body and the little white plastic1/2' disc with four holes in it and a center hole in the middle wirh a little rubber rod that was protruding thru the center hole leaning on its side was mush. So I put carb. cleaner in the vac. tube getting as much out as I could. Now I can get gas out of the line on prime only. Will the bike run too rich like this,should I get another petcock and where. Also I have noticed that the left coil under the tank was replaced it says good on it. Somtimes the bike will crank okay but not fire. If I put a shop charger on low it starts up. When I ran it the other day at first after about a mile noticed bike was cold in number three cylinder while all other header pipes were hot. I did eventually fire on four up in the mid 4k and up revs. Coil, bad plug cap.,ign.wire,plug? Anybody help Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
            pilot circuit on that carb is probably plugged. When was last time you cleaned the carbs?
            On all carbs. or just the third. Do you mean the main piolet jet?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              Try a new spark plug.
              They were all new a week ago NGK.

Comment

Originally posted by doggies View Post
                Do you mean the main piolet jet?
                Piolet is an ice ax, right?
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What do you mean piolet is an ice ax?

Comment

piolet
                    n : an ax used by mountain climbers for cutting footholds in ice
                    [syn: ice ax, ice axe]
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

All of your questions have been answered before. You need to tell us the exact steps you've done to eliminate possible problems. Also, you should keep responding to the same thread so that everyone sees what has been done. Starting new threads asking similar questions just confuses things.

See here for the exact petcock you need:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Cut and paste in your browser line.

You must replace your petcock or you will continue to have issues.

One pipe cold cannot be the coils. I suggest what others have suggested. Pull the plug and make sure it's not damaged. Remove the plug cap and trim the wire. Reinstall plug cap and test. If it doesn't clear up, then it's probably your #3 carb.

Comment

Dave PMOTW give me a call

Comment

follow fishman advice

in addition, (regards starting problems) make sure you have a good battery and that your charging system is working

then, check the valve adjustment
                          GS850GT

Comment

On all carbs. or just the third. Do you mean the main piolet jet?
                            The fact that # 3 is cold on idle and fires up during higher rpms pretty much confirms that the idle circuit on that carb is clogged. There are very tiny passageways in there that can easily get plugged up. When was the last time the carbs were cleaned?

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                              Have not hate to take all apart does each carb. have a piolet jet. I have done this year back on a xs eleven. I saw it briefly in a haynes. Also just bought new fuel petcock that was shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X