X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
    Sounds expensive.
    Or go cheap...
    take the clutch off, turn it over, put a large screwdriver between the coils of each spring, give a little twist.

Rotate the spring in it's slot as you go, separate each coil a tiny bit.

When the springs are getting tighter, they get harder to rotate. Put the screwdriver in between coils at one side of the opening, twist it and pull it across to rotate the spring. Keep going until all the springs are good and tight, try to get them all evenly tight, all the way around.

The big springs are harder, pry lengthwise instead of twisting.

Surely this won't last as long as new springs, but the one I did it to a few months ago still looks fine, just took the clutch out because I needed the oil pump drive gears for another engine, the springs are still tight.
    It had high mileage and had a bad clutch rattle before, and it has not rattled even a little bit since I did this, even though the engine is shot and it idles very roughly.

I am sure the perfectionists on the forum and those who rebuild clutches professionally will flame me here, about how unsafe or shoddy this method is, and they may be right.
    However it does not use heat, so shouldn't change the temper of the springs, does not effect the balance of the clutch, and it does work, at least for a while.
    I don't know how long, I've only done it on a few clutches.
    Probably not a good idea on a high RPM race motor, or one going out on an around the world tour. :-)
    Last edited by tkent02; 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Or go cheap...
      take the clutch off, turn it over, put a large screwdriver between the coils of each spring, give a little twist. Rotate the spring in it's slot as you go, separate each coil a tiny bit. Do it to all of the loose springs evenly, don't go too far on any one coil. Keep going until the spring is no longer loose. Surely this won't last as long as new springs, but the one I did it to a few months ago still looks fine, just took the clutch out because I needed the oil pump drive gears for another engine, the springs are still tight.
      It had a bad clutch rattle before, and it has not rattled even a little bit since I did this, even though the engine is shot and it idles very roughly.
      Will give it a shot tonight! Will also tighten the clutch hub nut.

Someone should make a writeup for this.

Comment

Someone should make a writeup for this.
        Why don't you, take a few pics while you do it tonight.
        I don't think I want my name on such a shoddy practice. :-)

Comment

No camera, kids broke it.

Might be a band-aid solution but in all honesty, it's only gotta get me through til winter, when the bike is getting a full resto and I'll have it all done with new stuff.

Comment

tkent, Your help has been indispensable.

Another dumb question, theres a black and a blue/red wire coming out of the gauge cluster that doesnt seem to have a home. Any ideas?

And am I just blind or did this bike not come with a clutch switch?

Comment

tkent, Your help has been indispensable.

Another dumb question, theres a black and a blue/red wire coming out of the gauge cluster that doesnt seem to have a home. Any ideas?

And am I just blind or did this bike not come with a clutch switch?
              Previous to 1980, riders were expected to know how to start a bike, so no clutch switch.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Previous to 1980, riders were expected to know how to start a bike, so no clutch switch.
                lol, that explains it then.

Any idea on the homeless wire?

Comment

Working...
                X