GS1000 not charging..How do I fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drhach

Thanks for the complement regarding my bike? It was a compliment right? Actually, the color didn't grow on me. I liked it instantly.
    Sorry if I came across negative, I did not mean to. For my own bike I debated doing something very close to OEM or doing certain NON OEM things like:
    paint calipers Grey
    paint the frame silver
    the swing arm gold
    Committed sacrilege by over doing the pearl on my Red GS1100ED .

I had to keep telling my self even though it is not OEM, and may be a little flashy , the loud brashness will wear off and I'll get comfortable with the over all look. (I guess I have a conservative streak ).

Anyway, that is how your stark green frame struck me at first, but after looking at the build up and the complementary colors it starts to look really good.

Oh yea, on the "shoot from hip instant diagnosis" I understand. It is just that I spent about 2 weeks studying that type of problem and the mechanisms for the voltage fold over along with spending way too much time discussing and debating the issue. Adding the single wire between the red R/R out and the + batt will confirm (with tests).

Posplayr

Comment

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I'd like to share some results that I had with a bit of elbow grease this weekend.

My bike was having issues as well, I could ride it all day and never have an issue but I couldnt shut it off or it wouldnt have enough kick to start again.

Everything tested out good (at least I'm pretty sure that it did, not an electronics genius), so I began looking for other issues.

Began by removing every bullet connector on the bike, replacing with nice new weathertite spade connectors. Found several leads that were corroded, overheated, even broke! Replaced ALL of them.

Seemed to make a nice difference in how the bike ran, but only marginally brought up the charging. I could now ride the bike anywhere and restart it, as long as I ran with the headlights off.

Made me think of what else I hadn't done. Next thing was to clean the grounds, sand the frame bare where the grounds contact, and touch up over the replaced grounds with black paint. Also direct grounded the R/R.

Rode all over Gods creation last night, high beam on the whole time, got back to the garage, shut it off, turned the key back on, hit the button, VROOM!

Moral of the story: 30 year old wiring isn't all it's cracked up to be. Ditch the bullet connectors, clean the grounds, and direct ground the R/R. The direct grounding made the biggest difference.

Comment

Working...
      X