winterizing my bike???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winterizing my bike???

i know its a bit early for this question,but im just getting pre-pared for what i need to do. i know i need to put fuel stabilizer in the tank, but is there any thing else that needs to be done? also does it hurt to start the bike and let it run for a minute or two durring the winter months? thanks for any suggestions and info.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
    i know its a bit early for this question,but im just getting pre-pared for what i need to do. i know i need to put fuel stabilizer in the tank, but is there any thing else that needs to be done? also does it hurt to start the bike and let it run for a minute or two durring the winter months? thanks for any suggestions and info.
    Put the bike on the centerstand. Take the battery out, and hook it to the Battery Tender. Change the oil and filter.

Anything else you do in addition to that depends on how long you let the bike sit there.

Letting a bike sit is not a good thing in the long run. I know what Dayton is like weatherwise, since I'm a UD graduate and lived there 4 years after graduating in 1969. Still, you should be able to get out once in a while and give the GS a good workout in the middle of winter. It's easier to do that in central Maryland, though.

If I can't get the bike out and ride it hard for at least 30 miles, I leave it in the garage. Do not start it and let it sit idling. That condensation has to be blown out forcefully through the exhaust, and the oil must get warm enough to boil off water and junk. It's harder to do that on an air-cooled bike, though, which is why I recommend 30 miles of hard riding.

By hard riding I mean accelerating and decelerating through the gears, to high rpm, time and again. A long stretch of straight road on which you get up the speed in top gear is also good. Make sure you check the air in the tires before taking it out of the garage.

This ritual is, I'm convinced, one good reason why my GK had 132,600 miles when I sold it a month ago to TheCafeKid. The head has never been removed off that thing.

Comment

Put some Sta-Bil or Seafoam in the tank (I use a double dose), ride to the gas station to top off the tank.
      When you get home, change the oil and filter.
      Put the bike on the centerstand.
      Run the bike for a minute to get fresh oil on all the bearings.
      Connect a proper battery charger/maintainer.
      Cover the bike with something that will not trap moisture.
      Put a piece of plywood under the front tire to get it off the ground.
      Do not start the engine unless you plan on at least a 20-30 RIDE (not an idle session).
      Some people recommend reducing the tire pressure to relieve strain on the tires. I like to leave the bike ready to ride.

Even though it might sound so nice, resist the urge to fire it up for a few minutes during the winter. It will not get up to full operating temperature and will leave condensation in the crankcase and exhaust, which will lead to problems later.

Last edited by Steve; 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the info. ive seen the gk and its a nice bike.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Winterizing...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Unfortunately, studded tires are illegal in MN, so I always have a couple of months out of the year that I can't ride. I don't winterize.........
            Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Winterizing...

Comment

Working...
            X