master cylinder trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

master cylinder trouble

So, I'm redoing the brakes on my 80 GS850G and am currently taking the master apart to get it clean and sparkly. (There was a brief interlude when an opossum decided to move into my garage..but I'm back at work on the brakes again).

I've already torn and killed the little rubber sleeve that protects the piston in the master cylinder, so it looks like I'll be buying a rebuild kit.

While I wait for it to arrive in the mail, I figure I might as well continue taking the thing apart and getting it clean and ready.

So how do you get that piston out? It has nice bounce to it so I'm sure the spring inside is still good, but there's this ring with two eyes holding it in and I'm not sure how to get that thing out. I'm assuming it has to come out before the piston can be removed. Is that correct anyone?

I tried taking a long ice pick and probing one eye of the ring to see if it would budge, but it doesn't. My needle nose pliers won't reach down far enough to grab the ring. Am I missing some special tool, or is there a trick to getting that thing off?

As always, any and all suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Hector

Go to a tool store, they have snap ring pliers with pointy jaws specially for this job. I use mine all the time for those annoying stuck snap rings.

Nastyjones
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
      Go to a tool store, they have snap ring pliers with pointy jaws specially for this job. I use mine all the time for those annoying stuck snap rings.

Nastyjones
      Make sure they are long enough...not every pair will work.
      I think Z1 sells a pair of long snap ring pliers just for this job...

I use a pair of long thin needle nose pliers....
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

It's still a pain but you really want to use these or you'll be fussing for a long while. Getting the circlip all the way back in was the hard part for me...

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

that circlip is in there DEEP.... i bought a set of snap ring pliers at ace hardware and modified them by grinding the nose down to a slim profile. worked great. i have heard yo can tease them out with an awl or some such nonsense.

have you looked at the rear m/c and caliper too? might as well do em both, while yer in there and all.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I'll be getting that tool

I figured there was an easy answer to this one. I'll look for that tool.

And, no, I haven't really checked the rear brakes yet.. but I will. I expect I'll be posting more questions when I get to that.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I got a pair at Sears. It's easier if you use a screw driver to rotate the clip so the holes are near the opening where the handle goes then hold the piston down and you can get the points in the little holes and squeeze.
              To check the master to see if it's good just carefully using a rag for protection pinch the brake line with pliers and squeeze the handle it should be rock hard if not you have a problem.
              Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
                To check the master to see if it's good just carefully using a rag for protection pinch the brake line with pliers and squeeze the handle it should be rock hard if not you have a problem.
                Isn't that pinching awfully hard on the hoses?
                I guess they probably need replacing anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                X