Runs good but won't go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runs good but won't go!

First of all I love this site! Now for my question; I recently got my 79' GS 1000 L running again after cleaning the carbs, new battery, oil change. etc... The motor runs great. Fires instantly and after it warms up will idle fine. However when I put it in gear it falls on its face. Even with the front wheel chocked and on the center stand with no resistance same result. If you guys could help me out, I'm stumped.

You mean the rear tire doesn't turn?

Please explain this more clearly. What's not working.

Thanks!

Rick

Comment

Clutch plates stuck?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Clutch plates stuck?
        What if you start it in gear on the centerstand?

Comment

Did you remove the airbox. Will run for crap without it unless you rejet

Comment

Stuck clutch. Either fibers to plates or bearings.
            Does the rear wheel spin freely in neutral? Cold be a stuck rear caliper.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

sidestand safety switch?

Comment

i'm guessing that the bike sat with dry carbs based on the fact that he cleaned them. i'll bet his problem is that the main jets have a dried film on them that you can't see and therefore don't think it needs to be cleaned. this effectively makes a bike that is at best on the edge of too lean very lean and won't run with a load above midrange. pull the mains and run a wire thru them and feel the difference.

Comment

clarification

Sorry, I will clarify what my problem is. The motor starts and runs fine. I was so excited I wanted to go for a little ride around the neighborhood. I put her in gear and gave her some gas and slowly let out on the clutch and it seems like she is struggling. So I gave her some more gas and tried again. Again she struggles until finally she dies. Puzzled I took her into the garage and put her on the center stand, started her up again and tried to put her in gear to see if it was just the weight of my 200 lbs. that was the problem. Watching the rear wheel as I put her in gear and let out on the clutch, same problem. She's really slugish. Right now I don't have an airbox on and am running a Vance and Hines 4 to 1 exhaust. I think I'll try putting the airbox back on. Thanks for the help so far!!

xebyd aka Rob

Comment

Chef asked about the rear spinning in neutral?

When I trailered my Kat home, a screw had fallen off during the trip and lodged in the chain links preventing the wheel from turning.

Now what are the odds of that?

Comment

No rear wheel turns just fine. How much would it effect the motor if I didn't have anything behind the carbs? i.e. air box, pods, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by xebyd View Post
                        No rear wheel turns just fine. How much would it effect the motor if I didn't have anything behind the carbs? i.e. air box, pods, etc.
                        Might make it run exactly like yours.

Comment

I guess I need to figure something out for back there huh.

Comment

You don't have an airbox?
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X