Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

me and my new gs250

Hello gents.
    Been reading on your site for a while and i figure i must login and meet some of you. Just go my first cycle, an 81 GS250T up and running. Did a bunch of work on it. Clean carbs, replaced the head lamp, ignition control, seat, brakes, master cylinder, tac cable, and a lot of washing. The bike had been sitting for 10 years and amazingly enough a year later and 600$ in parts and my 75$ investment payed off. Ive been commuting with it for 3 days now a couple miles back and forth to campus. As far as i can tell it runs like a charm. Doesnt idle untill 1 mile into ride, lost the ball and spring for the choke, and has a long delay in the tac. Overall im happy with it and will post up pictures as soon as i get my hands on a camera.
    I know very little about working on bikes except what its taken to get it this far. We havent opened up the engine any so the valves probably need to be adjusted though thats a job for someone with the proper tools. My old man did the last of the work i hadnt had time to do. Mostly cleaning the carbs better(wow the jets come out) and cleaning up the wiring. He was able to remove the cap to one of the pilot jets after taking a drill to it and nearly destroying the screw. He tried playing with the pilot screw to fix the idle problem, got lost and just reset it to factory. He began to attempt removing the cap to the other pilot screw and gave up noting that the bike ran a little but would cease to if he drilled through a carb.
    So hopefully my lengthy explination could help someone let me know what to do to fix the idling problem (ie how to play with the pilot screws) and or what i might be able to do about the delayed tac. oh, and ive searched around babitts and bikebandit and neither of them show the ball and spring that my manual shows in the carb explode.

Welcome, Basscliff will give you the big welcome soon enough.
    Twist the drillbit by hand to pull the screw caps, when the bit gets stuck, twist a little more with pliers and pull the cap out.
    That 250 should be a good bike when you get it all sorted out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

tach problem

regards the delayed tach readings, i can't gaurantee this is the problem. it sounds as if cable is unwinding until reaches it's limit and then the tach responds. try swapping the ends. if i am thinking correctly cause the cable to rotate in the direction of it's winding.

Comment

Tach surgery

My tach was sluggish too. Not sure how you tach is constructed. But, I had to cut the back off of mine and remove the innards. There is a drum and housing mechinism with a spring that returns the needle to 0. Between the drum and housing was something that I can only describe as grape jelly. Very sticky. It was not allowing the drum to move freely. Don't know if this is the problem. But after cleaning and reassembly. It works like a champ.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
        X