Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for help? Have tools, will travel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Lurch, what 'carb sync tool'? I just use an 8mm open end wrench and a long screwdriver. I have thought about getting 'the tool', but I have used one and found that there are plenty of times it does not work, and you have to use the open end wrench anyway.
    I've often thought of making my own tool, using a length of SS tubing, 8mm socket, and a long reach flexible-shaft screwdriver.
    Then:

- Bend a small offset in the tube to get at #2 & #4 easier.
    - Drill through the "drive' end of the socket to provide more clearance for the screw driver
    - Weld the socket on the end of the tube.
    - Slide a flex-shaft screwdriver down the tube.
    - Use a small pair of vice grips at the top of the tube shaft as the lever to loosen/tighten the adjustment nuts. This way you could position the "lever" anywhere you wanted to turn the socket.
    Another thought I had was to replace the 3 carb sync-adjustment screws with larger headed screws. Slide a short stiff spring up the thread shaft so it sits againt the screw head (maybe a flat washer would be needed). Once installed back into the threaded hole on the butterfly tab, you could simply turn the screw to adjust the sync, with no need to lock it down as the spring tension would keep it from turning.

Anyway, that's what i was a thinkin'
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Hey Steve...
      Did you make it to Mississippi???

Comment

I live about 80 miles from downtown Memphis- if you are in the Memphis area check out a restaurant in old Germantown called The Commissary. It is one of those hidden gems. If I can't get my carbs set right I may be calling on you

j razz

Comment

Originally posted by hcritz View Post
          Hey Steve...
          Did you make it to Mississippi???
          Yep, I'm here.
          PM sent.

Originally posted by jrazz View Post
          I live about 80 miles from downtown Memphis- ... If I can't get my carbs set right I may be calling on you
          Which side of Memphis? Why not do it right the first time? Send me a message if you want the help.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by hcritz View Post
            ...the MS delta isn't the greatest place to spend weekends!
            This weekend might be an exception. I hear there is a Blues Festival in town, which is going to include BB King and many others.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X