Tired Zook ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired Zook ignition

After putting the new head on my bike I just haven't had the performance I expected. Played around with the jetting (a gazillion times), installed the coil mod, cleaned and recleaned ignition connections, cleaned and oiled advance, rethreaded spark plug caps ect ect ..........

Installed a Dyna S tonight and BAM! Instant power. I kicked the throttle and the bike came up so quick it took me by suprise. No more evil hiccup!
    The old ignition couldn't keep up with my mods.
    I recommend this upgrade highly.

Now to get some Dynatek Green 3ohm coils and get down to some serious tuning!!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

anything still stock on your bike, chef ?

don't mind me, it's just envy talking
    GS850GT

Comment

I'm glad you posted that because I figured as much. I bought a Dyna S that I have as yet to install.

How about throwing up a few pics of that beast? I'd love to see it.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM.

Comment

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

You know, for me that is the PERFECT bike. The L shape, seat and style with the 16 valve engine and chain drive. I have enough pieces to make that but at least for right now, not enough confidence in my skills to go forward with it. I may make a bastard child of something like that some day.

Thanks for the pic.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Installed a Dyna S tonight and BAM! Instant power. I kicked the throttle and the bike came up so quick it took me by suprise. No more evil hiccup!
            The old ignition couldn't keep up with my mods.
            I recommend this upgrade highly
            I've always been a bit confused concerning these dyna s ignitions...

Is it desirable to put a dyna s on a bike with a sig generator? Mine are all '82's with no points or contacts... it would need some sort of mechanical advance I guess? Is any of that worth it>

Your thoughts - thanks,

mike
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

i just put the dyna ignition on my bike and it runs way smoother.....

definately should have gotten it long ago

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                I've always been a bit confused concerning these dyna s ignitions...

Is it desirable to put a dyna s on a bike with a sig generator? Mine are all '82's with no points or contacts... it would need some sort of mechanical advance I guess? Is any of that worth it>

Your thoughts - thanks,

mike
                You'll need to get an advance off an 80-81 1100. I know the 750 works also.

Comment

I did the same mod on my '82 1100E. It has a mechanical advance. You essentially bypass the whole signall generator thing and discard it.

Comment

OK, yes, I understand about the mech advance. I seem to think my 1100GZ has a mech advance already as welll...

What I REALLY want to know is:
                    (1) Unless my sig gen is toast, is there any advantage to replacing it with a Dyna S ignition??

(2) Is there a performance boost (over the stock sig gen set-up) with the Dyna S?

(3) Isn't a Dyna S essentially a sig gen that was designed to replace points & condensers??
                    Thanks,

mike
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

The factory ignition has two main parts: signal generators and ignitor. The Dyna S replaces both of these parts. The confusion comes in for some because the Dyna S looks so small – only slightly larger than the stock signal generators alone.

I don’t think there is a huge advantage in changing out the stock ignition with a Dyna S unless the stock ignition is on the fritz somehow. Problem is judging how bad the stock ignition actually is; a weak ignition can fool you into thinking you have a carburetion issue sometimes.

I picked up a spare ignitor for my bike for cheap out of the For Sale area. Verified it works so now I have it just in case the stock ignition starts to act up – should speed up troubleshooting. Never hurts to have spare parts laying around. Of course, you could just purchase a Dyna S and have that laying around as well. It’s only money.

Good luck.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ahhhhh yes, forgot about the ignitor end of the equation.

I did the same with my 1100, picked up an extra ignitor on e-bay for like $15 !! Pluged it in & it works just fine.

Regarding the "fooled into thinking you have carburation issues" - I'm now starting to lean that way on my 850. I keep thinking I have a carb problem, but I'm not so sure. Everytime I "fix" the carb, the problem goes away & then re-appears. I have a set of green Dyna coils laying around & I'm going to install them & see what happens after that.

thanks,

mike
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...