Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS650G - dumping gas from right side hose!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650G - dumping gas from right side hose!

I just bought this GS650G as a starter bike for my wife. I bought knowing that it "needed some carb work". What happens is that I go to start it, it sounds like the left side (when sitting on it) tries to start, but the right side almost immediately starts dumping gas out of the drain hose under the bike. Just from glancing around, it sounds like a float bowl is over flowing.

Do i just need to take out the carb stack, and open them up and clean them?

I've rejetted my VL800, and opening up and cleaning the carbs shouldn't be a big deal for me. I found the carb cleanup series, and was thinking of following that.

Any other advice / ideas?

PS - It won't start, but the left side sounds like it's trying to catch. I have just changed the oil, filter and plugs, fresh gas, and some gumout carb cleaner additive in the gas.

You definately need to Clean the carbs the fuel is comming out of the overflow tube. If you have CV carbs 1980 up there is an O ring on the seat assembly that may need replacement too. See the carb cleanup series in the GS forum

Comment

Thanks SQ,

I plan to break them down tommorrow. I have a feeling I may be ordering a rebuild kit off EBay. Do I need to order 1 kit for my 4 carbs?

Comment

One kit rebuilds one carb. You will need four kits.

Earl

Originally posted by BriMan
        Thanks SQ,

I plan to break them down tommorrow. I have a feeling I may be ordering a rebuild kit off EBay. Do I need to order 1 kit for my 4 carbs?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ok. Thanks Earl!

I'm surprised I got this fast a response to the posts. I appreciate your quick help.

I'm used to the quick response on my other forum site for my Volusia, but didn't know what to expect from a new forum, you guys Rock!
          8)

Comment

Yeah, we have a great bunch of curmudgeons here. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by BriMan
            Ok. Thanks Earl!

I'm surprised I got this fast a response to the posts. I appreciate your quick help.

I'm used to the quick response on my other forum site for my Volusia, but didn't know what to expect from a new forum, you guys Rock!
            8)
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

My GFs '81 GS650GL will leak from one carb sometimes, partictularly if she runs to the point she has to switch to reserve. Most likely a sticking float or dirty seat. It only happens occassionally and will clear up as she as she runs it. I know I need to clean the carbs but I can get away with it for now since it is intermittent.

Comment

Well, I broke down the carbs and cleaned them all. Some of the needle slides were sticking, and some of the float bowls "stems" were not rising.

Now it runs, but I need about 1/2 choke to keep it running.

Can someone tell me the approximaite settings for the mixture screw? Those are the screws that are on the top near center of each carb that you see when looking down on the carbs from the "seat" right?

UPDATE: After fiddling with the mix screws, I have it starting, idling and riding. Two problems - when I first start it (no choke) it surges then slowly backs down to idle. As I'm riding, it falters at take off, then surges, then hits a flat spot about midrange, then surges again.

I'm thinking I set the mix to heavy. It took about 3.5 turns before I could get it to stay running even when warm, but the ilde was set WAY out. After turning it in almost to the carbs, it idles about 1300. I figure I'll turn the screws in 1 turn each, then see where I'm at.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X