Bench syncing VM carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench syncing VM carb

I'm putting my 79 GS850G back together. I'm having troubles bench synching. Can anyone give me a detailed description of how to do it. I followed the VM rebuild pdf. file from BikeCliffs site but the slides just drop all the way to the bottom to begin with. I am wondering if I am supposed to have the large spring on or not to do the bench sync? helpppp............thanks
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

With the idle screw under the rack loosened, turn the throttle screw on top of each slide until there is just the slightest crack of light visible under each slide when it is down all the way, set the locknut lightly. The idle screw under the rack will bring all of the slides up together after that. This should be close enough to run. There is an adjustment in the manual for how high the slides go at wide open too.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

To go one step further. Back out the idle screw so it doesnt touch. Then adjust the #3 carb from the linkage on the top of the #3 carb to where it just fully closes. then adjust the idle screw up until you can slide a 1/16" dril bit under the #3 slide from the intake side. Then adjust the other three to match. Will be very close

Comment

Another way that I use is to measure from the top of the carb (tops off) to the top of the slide - same place on each carb - using a caliper accurate to 100th of a mm.

I've only started using this technique recently so it's only tried and tested on around a half a dozen sets of carbs but I've been surprised how accurate setting up using this method appears, with only the deftest tweak required on a gauge synch i.e. they've really been good enough to not need the gauge synch.

I'd be interested to know if this is just luck or whether Mikuni really did have good tolerances on their carb bodies; anyone else measured like this?
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Wow, nice idea!

I found on mine (even though I have a sync tool) the engine ran great after bench syncing the visual way.

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
            Wow, nice idea!

I found on mine (even though I have a sync tool) the engine ran great after bench syncing the visual way.
            I agree with you. I didn't vacuum sync the VM's on my 850 the last time I had them off because I found that on previous occasions, the bench sync was accurate and required mininal or no fine tuning.

I do think that you would need a vacuum sync when fine tuning CV carbs though!
            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

A tried and tested trick I learned a few years back, is to get four lengths of metal rod, welding rod for example. Fit these under the carb slides. Turn the carbs so the rods are pointing down then use the throttle linkage to very slowly raise the carbs while observing the rods. At first you`ll probably find that one or two slide out first. Adjust the linkage of each carb slide accordingly. Ideally, you want to get em set so that all the rods slide out at the same time. This has worked well for me for bench synch, but obviously once on the bike synch the carbs up, preferably with a Carbtune. Have fun !.
              "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
              1978 GS750
              1979 GS750 chop
              1979 GS550
              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
              1992 XV750 Virago
              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                Another way that I use is to measure from the top of the carb (tops off) to the top of the slide - same place on each carb - using a caliper accurate to 100th of a mm.

I've only started using this technique recently so it's only tried and tested on around a half a dozen sets of carbs but I've been surprised how accurate setting up using this method appears, with only the deftest tweak required on a gauge synch i.e. they've really been good enough to not need the gauge synch.

I'd be interested to know if this is just luck or whether Mikuni really did have good tolerances on their carb bodies; anyone else measured like this?
                I hope this works as I too am going to use this method. Question is though, how much distance to the tops if the bottoms are off a bit?
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

The distance to the top of the slides doesn't matter as long as it's the same on all the carbs. Just so long as the slides have a bit of lift and aren't bottoming out on the body of the carb you should achieve a good synch.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X