Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed petcock leak, now my 78' GS750 won't start :(

Hey all,

Just bought a rather neglected but mechanically sound 1978 GS 750 and discovered a petcock leak from the two washers that connect the petcock to the fuel tank and after buying new sealing washers and reassembly, she sputters and I get REAL close, but no steady running. I'm assuming I need to leave the petcock to the PRI postion while trying to start it since it hasn't run in about two weeks ( it started right up when I went to look at it for the purchase ). I'm a newbee mechanic and don't want to go about the repair the wrong way. Any have any tips that may get my new found love purring again?

Ed

Does fuel flow from the petcock when you put vacuum in the vacuum line?
    Is it hooked up correctly?
    Does fuel flow when it's in PRI?
    Do you have enough gas in the tank?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

how old's the gas?

Comment

Got it running but now a carb problem?

Ok, so I got my 1978 GS750 (with spoked wheels) running. The only thing though is that I get absolutley zero suction from the carbs when the petcock is in the ON position. I can only have her running (and have actually riden it) when it's in the PRI position. I'm lead to believe that my carbs are seriously messed up. Also, when I'm on the road I have constant misfiring and steady engine hesitation. If i take it to a Suzuki dealer will I need to get a complete carb rebuild? Or is there anything I can do to save me the money from going to them? Total (obvious) newbie. It's been siting for 2 years.

I'm going to turn it into a white and green cafe racer!

1st time I looked at it...

now...2 weeks later : )

Thanks!

Comment

[quote=drummered;900525]Ok, so I got my 1978 GS750 (with spoked wheels) running. The only thing though is that I get absolutley zero suction from the carbs when the petcock is in the ON position. I can only have her running (and have actually riden it) when it's in the PRI position. I'm lead to believe that my carbs are seriously messed up. Also, when I'm on the road I have constant misfiring and steady engine hesitation. If i take it to a Suzuki dealer will I need to get a complete carb rebuild? Or is there anything I can do to save me the money from going to them? Total (obvious) newbie. It's been siting for 2 years
          Quote:

I lived in Naples for many years and moved to Brooksville 3 1/2 years ago.
          Trust me on this, you do NOT want to take that bike to any dealer in town.
          They probably would not work on it anyway, but you dont want them to.
          If you need any work done, go to Cypress Cycle and talk to Terry. Anything Terry does for you will be done right.

Normally, you only need to leave the petcock set to prime for about 30 seconds so the float bowls will fill with gas. Then the petcock is set back to the run position. If the bike has been sitting for two years, its a pretty sure thing the carbs are gummed up and the passageways are blocked.
          You most likely will need an "O" ring kit for the carbs and the four large
          induction boot intake "O" rings also. the carbs will need to be removed, dismantled, soaked and re"O" ringed.

The petcock may or may not be faulty. With the condition of the carbs, its impossible to say for sure at this point. Considering how many things can be wrong or incorrectly set and that the bike has been sitting for so long,
          is there any chance you can trailer the bike to my shop in Brooksville.
          We could go through the carbs, electrical system, fuel system, Ignition and carb set up and synch at one time. It would be much easier to get you up and running with a hands on machine approach rather than one symptom at a time online. (I had a 79 750 for a long time, so I know that bike pretty well.)

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X