Oil Viscosity in GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Viscosity in GS1100

Do you think any harm would come from using Schaeffer's 7000 20/50 Semi-Synthetic Race oil in My 1983 GS1100E? I will not be riding in OS temperatures below 35 degrees?

depends on who you ask, but no, probably not, alot of us run 20-50 rotella synthetic.

Comment

Thanks, I've been running this oil in V-Twin Race bikes for several years with remarkable success. Virtuslly no engine wear. BTW, I put in a change of the Schafer's and all my clutch chatter went away in the Suzi????

Comment

Give it some extra time at warmup. The clutch will grab when cold
        with 20 wt

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Give it some extra time at warmup. The clutch will grab when cold
          with 20 wt
          good point. i have noticed that it's been talking a little longer to get going on cool mornings..

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
            depends on who you ask, but no, probably not, alot of us run 20-50 rotella synthetic.
            Rotella synthetic is 5W-40, the dino flavor Rotella is 15W-40. 20W-50 is okay to use but the air temperature should be on the warm side in my opinion.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most diesel 15-40 or 5-40 brand will suffice. I use Motorcraft 15-40 in the 5 quart jug.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                Do you think any harm would come from using Schaeffer's 7000 20/50 Semi-Synthetic Race oil in My 1983 GS1100E? I will not be riding in OS temperatures below 35 degrees?
                You might experience some hard starting issues, esp. below 40 degrees with the 20/50, in addition to the longer warmup, so it may be best used as a summer oil, depending on your location (in Florida etc it would be safe year-round). Most of the wear apparently takes place immediately after cold starts, and before the oil reaches proper operating temps, so it may actually be detrimental to use it in cooler weather, IMHO.

FWIW, I run my own blend of semi-synth (as an aside, the problem with semi-synths, is that the oil co.'s refuse to reveal the ratio of true synthetic in the blend...technically, they can label it a semi and elevate the price substantially, with even 2% synthetic added to straight dino oil) using 1/3 Amsoil 0-40 full synthetic and the rest regular Castrol GTX 10-40. Makes for easy starts even at freezing temps, though I run it year-round up here in Canada.

The best recommendation for low wear is to change the oil regularly, regardless of brand. I have not researched the race oils, so not sure they are designed to be used for the longer oil change intervals that street bikes normally use.
                Just my $0.02.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by gregr View Post
                  Schaeffer's 7000 20/50 Semi-Synthetic Race oil
                  Have not heard of that one but add it to the mix. How much $ ? Ive seen Rotella (popular choice) for about $8 a gallon and Amsoil for over $10 a quart. The Valvoline 10w40 (MC) that Ive been using is about $3.50 a qt.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It runs about $5.00 qt.

Comment

Working...
                    X