Who does clutch-less shifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sultan View Post
    (My starter won't roll over unless the clutch is depressed...don't know how common that is...this is my first bike.)
    There's a switch underneath the clutch handle housing that's identical to the front brake switch. If you follow the clutch switch wire into the headlight bucket, you can disconnect the 2 bullet connectors & simply re-connect them to each other on the harness side - this will bypass the switch & allow the bike to start without depressing the clutch.

However, be mindfull that it will now turn over in gear, so be sure you're in neutral!

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I shift either way, depending on my situation and mood at the time. I usually use the clutch on the way up, it just goes a bit easier. On the way back down, mine practically slips itself into gear, nice and smooth. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, so I'm going with it.

Comment

For those that do not do clutchless shifting. A few pointers.

When upshifting, just back off the throttle and do your shift. You need to time the back off just as you time the clutch release. The key thing is to reduce the engine torque since the engine needs to slow a bit during the gear change.
        When downshifting, You give a little throttle blip to accelerate the engine. This should be a learned practice in everything you drive that has a manual box whether the clutch is used or not.
        Many newer bikes have a slipper clutch, these are neat. In this case the clutch does not engage fully in trailing throttle so when you downshift it relieves load on the driveline and does not lock the rear wheel during the shift. This makes a precise throttle blip less important.
        I am going on 40 years of shifting this way so it is second nature to me. I have been doing it in gearboxes that I have been told will just blow up. I guess they have for someone.

Once you learn the technique the bike will not care if you are loafing down the road or riding at full chat, it will shift smooth with less wear on the bike than if bobbling through the gears using the clutch without care of proper technique.
        You will know when you have it right when riding two up and your passenger can not detect your shifts.

Comment

Air shifters on drag bikes work clutchless, No damage, even at high RPM.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just a note for those not knowing,
            Air shifters use an ignition cut to allow the torque reduction needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
              Just a note for those not knowing,
              Air shifters use an ignition cut to allow the torque reduction needed.
              True...unless you have the trans gears cut to allow upshifting under full power...normally called an auto.
              I run a 1-2-3 auto....on the fast bike...(not for street riding though)
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I am old knee dragger, we did not do those things. We spent our time undercutting dogs so they would not come out.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  Air shifters on drag bikes work clutchless, No damage, even at high RPM.
                  The dogs are cut to allow power shifting. A tranny that is so modified is also only able to accept loading while under power. The shift forks will bend or break if the throttle is rolled off.

As far as clutchless shifting, if there is no load through the gears, it can be done cleanly with no damage without regard for engine RPM.. It's a lot easier for most to upshift after little practice. Downshifting is much harder.
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

the beauty of synchro-mesh transmissions "floating" thru the gears by matching rpms' and clicking up and down.

takes practice and the bike needs to be in good tune .

now the actual "auto" is a racing cut on the front and back sides of the dogs along with spring loading on the shift forks. it engages 2 gears at once and the lower gear popping out allowing a full power shift and not unloading or interrupting the power or ignition . it is complicated but the suzuki gs 1000 - 1100 is really easy to do compared to kawasaki.

air shifter systems have an ignition stutter at .050 of a second to unload pressure and shift

under cutting transmission dogs makes them push together -a little not a lot- 7 -10 degree cut matched to mate gear sets #2 gear #3 gear

a pro cut transmission gear has half the dogs removed for ultra high rpm shifts. 2 gear 3 gear sometimes 4 gear
                    Last edited by trippivot; 09-13-2008, 10:50 AM.
                    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                      The dogs are cut to allow power shifting. A tranny that is so modified is also only able to accept loading while under power. The shift forks will bend or break if the throttle is rolled off.
                      Rolling off is really not a problem if the trans is set up well....
                      I've backed off mine many times without ever bending a shift fork, so have others I know...
                      The big thing it to not slam the throttle closed...(which is sometimes hard to remember if your shootin' towards the wall or the crossin' the center line.. )
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

One reason for my high-mileage GK, over 132,000 miles as of a month ago: I always use the clutch when shifting, up or down. Neither clutch nor engine has ever been touched.

I don't recommend clutchless shifting for anyone. Just use the clutch, keeping cable well lubed and in top shape, and it will not break. Last time a clutch cable broke on me was 1988, on an 850G.

I don't care if you think I'm an old fuddy-duddy for saying this. I am, and proud of it. Use your clutch when you shift.

Comment

Being an old stock car racer, I have all kinds of experience with this. We used motorcycle engines in some sprint cars we ran. The only thing you used the clutch for is to start the thing back up and get going after the track safety crew flipped you back on your wheels.

And yes, these guys are correct. Any motorcycle trans will shift efortlessly without the clutch. Motorcycle trans are sequential trans. Straight cut gears tha wil fall into place when under no load.

Just like these gus are saying, simply hold light pressure on the shifter and unload the trans with the throttle.

Comment

The answer to all of this debate is to buy a CZ (my avatar - a Type 486). Cunning engineers those old eastern bloc Czechs - shift the gear lever and it disengages the clutch by means of a little cam on the end of the gear change shaft.

Great party trick - amaze your friends; engage first gear and pull away nice and smoothly without using the clutch lever (you can use the gear lever as a clutch once you know how it works).
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer
                            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I found that to be one of the most magnificent ideas for hands up starts. Of course I was on a Bultaco following them off the line.

Comment

Working...
                              X