1st gear issue on 82 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st gear issue on 82 gs850

Hi all, new to here, found this site while trying to solve a problem with my gs850. Main problem is when pulling from a stop, seems to take an exceptional amount of throttle\rpms to get it moving (very hard when you are stopped at the top of a hill). I've had this bike for a few years just tinkering with it and just no really driving. It acts like the clutch is not disengaging but, I have tried many adj on the cable - even leaving the cable off an holding lever all the way back clockwise. All other gears work fine and she has pretty good power until 55 mph. On a 30 mile drive, I had a hard time keeping it at 55 (was not over revving, just seemed to not be able to get the rpm's much higher at that speed. This was before a minor tune-up (plugs and wires, airfilter). I have not driven it on the road yet since this. It stars and idles well and has good pickup after you get her moving on first - as said, it does have some problems at higher speeds. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks,
    Chris

Originally posted by 77ford View Post
    Hi all, new to here, found this site while trying to solve a problem with my gs850. Main problem is when pulling from a stop, seems to take an exceptional amount of throttle\rpms to get it moving (very hard when you are stopped at the top of a hill). I've had this bike for a few years just tinkering with it and just no really driving. It acts like the clutch is not disengaging but, I have tried many adj on the cable - even leaving the cable off an holding lever all the way back clockwise. All other gears work fine and she has pretty good power until 55 mph. On a 30 mile drive, I had a hard time keeping it at 55 (was not over revving, just seemed to not be able to get the rpm's much higher at that speed. This was before a minor tune-up (plugs and wires, airfilter). I have not driven it on the road yet since this. It stars and idles well and has good pickup after you get her moving on first - as said, it does have some problems at higher speeds. Any suggestion on this?

Thanks,
    Chris

Hi Chris, welcome to the GSR. You will get the official welcome in due course.

Sounds like your bike may have been sitting idle over lengthly periods in the past. If so, the jets will have gummed up and you will need to strip the carbs down and give them a thorough cleaning. If you have run it regularly (at least monthly), check that you don't have any air leaks around the carb boots and the airbox. Just a thought, are you running pods and a 4-1 pipe? If so, you may need to re-jet to match the increase in air to the engine! Have you checked the valve clearnaces since you bought this bike?
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

It may have been sittting before i got it - not sure. I have not found any leaks at this point but plan to give her a good going over this weekend time permitting. How hard is the vaulve adj.? I pretty handy with motors but, never messed with a motorcycle engine. I've read so much bad stuff about sync. the carbs I've been scared to touch them. Anything that is effective as far as gas additive? I did have to kreem(sp) the tank when I got it so, possible all kinds of nast things in there. One last thing, is it possible to take the carbs off to clean without screwing woth the sych situation - I do not have the gauge necessary from what I have read.

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

your clutch may be on its way out
        check the plates' thicknesses and the springs
        GS850GT

Comment

On the clutch side, wher is a good place to get parts etc. for that and about how much if anyone knows.

Comment

ebay or www.bikebandit.com
            GS850GT

Comment

Thanks, where is my welcome package

Comment

Originally posted by 77ford View Post
                Thanks, where is my welcome package
                I think Cliff may be a little behind from his cross country journey to the MotoGP.
                But you'll find alot of info here:

Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                X