Bike kicks itself outta gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike kicks itself outta gear

My '80 GS850 kicks itself outta 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and I don't know about 5th whenever I get up around 6-7krpm. It shifts fine under normal commuting rpms so what gives??

Sounds like worn selectors in the gearbox,letting go under load. How many K's on the motor?

Comment

31k miles on it.

Comment

How does it do downshifting? Can you downshift then hit the gas again and have it stay in gear? I find it hard to believe that all the engadgement dogs on each gear would be warn or damaged unless this was used for a drag bike. That would leave the shift fork as the culpret. It is most likely bent from someone trying to cram it into gear. Either way you'll have to pull the engine and split the cases to get in there and fix it.

Originally posted by s32k1 View Post
        My '80 GS850 kicks itself outta 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and I don't know about 5th whenever I get up around 6-7krpm. It shifts fine under normal commuting rpms so what gives??

Comment

It downshifts perfectly, and there is no sign of any problems at all until you get up into the funzone above 6k.

Comment

It really sounds more like the clutch is just slipping badly. You didn't mention any of the gawdawful noises that would happen if every single gear was that badly worn out.

This happens to just about every GS when the clutch springs sag after a couple of decades under pressure.

Get a new clutch cover gasket and stock clutch springs. Put the bike on the kickstand, and replace the springs. A half hour and you're done.

The other culprit for massive clutch slippage could be an additive or friction modified oil -- have you put anything in your engine besides 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, or 20W-50 engine oil?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              It really sounds more like the clutch is just slipping badly. You didn't mention any of the gawdawful noises that would happen if every single gear was that badly worn out.

This happens to just about every GS when the clutch springs sag after a couple of decades under pressure.

Get a new clutch cover gasket and stock clutch springs. Put the bike on the kickstand, and replace the springs. A half hour and you're done.

The other culprit for massive clutch slippage could be an additive or friction modified oil -- have you put anything in your engine besides 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, or 20W-50 engine oil?
              That opens up another question. Is it slipping, going into a false neutral or kicking from say 4th to 3th,
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I just put in 20w50 motorcycle oil a week ago, and it hasn't gone into false neutral or kicked down any gears by itself. The clutch seems fine on takeoff and during normal driving. I will do the clutch spring swap and see how that works out. Should I just get them from bike bandit?

Comment

Originally posted by s32k1 View Post
                  Should I just get them from bike bandit?
                  I would get them from wherever is least expensive and quickest. Sometimes you must weigh one against the other.

Pay less---wait a week and a half.
                  Spend a little more----get them tomorrow.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Clutch springs and the clutch cover gasket are pretty inexpensive parts -- probably around $25 total. So the source won't matter much.

Your local dealer would probably be fastest for OEM parts, followed by BikeBandit. Bikebandit's shipping costs are pretty reasonable -- a flat $6.95, I think.

You might also be able to order aftermarket versions of these from Cycle Recycle II or Z1 enterprises (not sure about the clutch cover gasket, but I know they have springs that are slightly stiffer than stock).

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Z1 actually answers the phone and replies to emails, so I'd check with them first. They can also get OEM parts if needed.

The phone at CRC2 is perpetually busy and they don't usually answer emails all that quickly, if ever. If you do manage to get through on the phone, you'll be talking to an expert.

If it's just revving up when you whip on it (not skipping gears and making horrible noises), I think it's most likely just sagged clutch springs.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

OK sounds good! It doesn't seem like anything that I would need to split the cases for because everything else seems so fine!

Comment

Can someone please show me on bikebandit.com which parts I need to buy?

Comment

Working...
                        X