No announcement yet.

78 GS750E carb/vacume help PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, now till about 3500 rpm has intendancy to bog down... idles really smooth...
    any sudjestions?

p.s. how many jet sizes down do i need when i change to pods?

Comment

Originally posted by Yura View Post
      ... on the carbs, there is 3 nipples and one of them is puling some major vacuum (they are all in line pointing at the seat/gas tank area, they are at a 45 digry engle) what are those and where do they hook up to?
      Other details later, but the one on #2 is a vent for 1&2, the one on #4 is a vent for 3&4. The one on #3 is the vacuum line that should be connected to your petcock.

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      The vacuum line on the petcock goes to a nipple on the number 2 (I think) carb to supply vacuum to the petcock.
      This is true on CV carbs from '80-on, but earlier VM carbs have the vacuum nipple on #3.

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
      Well, I tried, on mine it hooks to #2. I dont know about VM carbs.
      (see comment above)

the line between 1-2 and 3-4 is just a breather lines, the one on the left hands side of #3 carb is vacuum for petcock, thank you
      now the question is... what the heck is that screw that in every manual i look in, says do not touch.... its located on the bottom of the carb tords the motor next to the bowl...
      That is your pilot fuel screw. (details later)

Originally posted by Riding Again View Post
      I should take a picture, but is it the cam chain tensioner.
      No, he is talking about a screw on the carbs, not the cylinder block.

this one is adjustable from the outside...
      i played with them... got them to where its running nice... those screws are HI rpm fuel mixture... that was a pain in the (_!_) but i think i got it good inouf for now, till i get the sincro tool and coned filters.... and ill have to readjust them again...
      Those are NOT the HI rpm fuel mixture. They are the IDLE mixture screws. As SqDancerLynn mentioned, they are adjusted about 5/8 to 3/4 turn out (at your elevation, maybe as little as 1/2) and the air screws on the sides of the carbs adjusted to 1 1/2 to 2 turns (maybe a little less at your altitude).

I'm at 5500 feet in Albuquerque,NM so my settings are a bit different then most ppl
      do you think ill have to go to a smaller jet size when i change to pods?
      NO. You will not go to smaller jets when you go to pods, you will go to LARGER jets. Albuquerque is, indeed, over 5000 feet, as is most of the area around you. If you don't ever go anywhere near sea level, you might get away with stock jetting because the altitude will richen the mixture a bit, but maybe not enough.

p.s. how many jet sizes down do i need when i change to pods?
      As mentioned above, you will not jet DOWN, you will jet UP. How many sizes? That depends on how well the pods and pipe breathe. This is checked by doing plug chops. The procedure is outlined on BassCliff's website.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X