Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's my next move - #3 plug STILL BLACK !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's my next move - #3 plug STILL BLACK !!

I've brought my GS850GLZ back to life after a long sleep - done all the suggested work, and then some:
    dipped the carbs
    replaced o-rings
    vac-sync'ed the carbs
    raised/shimmed jet needles the equivalent of 1 notch
    sealed airbox / drop-in K&N filter
    adjusted valves
    coil relay mod
    new Dyna coils (3 ohm) & wires
    rebuilt cam chain tensioner
    cleaned ALL electrical contacts
    compression check (all cylinders >150#)
    ...other stuff I can't recall at the moment...
    Bike starts great & idles at 1K great.

However, I seem to be fouling a plug (#3) after a bit. I can feel it start to unbalance & vibrate at highway speed, and can also feel a slight stumble at the lower RPM's. When I get home & pull all the plugs, 1,2, & 4 look good - #3 is ALWAYS jet black (see pic attached).

I've played with the mixture screw to no avail, experimented with changing the shims on the jet needles -nada.

I put new coils & wires on yesterday, as I was convinced the 2/3 coil was intermittent. Didn't seem to help, I can feel (and hear) the engine only running on 3 cylinders.

I'm assuming the ignitor is good, because I'm thinking it couldn't fail just #3 without taking #2 with it (is that correct?)

I just put a brand new plug in #3, in the hopes I may have a bad plug (that would be too easy.)

I need some sound advice as to what to do next - I really don't want to take the carbs off & reclean but I think that may be my next move...

What say all you??
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

And I think I chase my tail sometimes.
    Have a look at the needles and needle jets and make sure they are the same part numbers and not worn.
    Does look like fuel though. Any chance it's oil?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What Chef said, plus did you check the condition of the needle valves while you had the carbs apart. If the tips are worn, that will cause flooding. They also have a washer that the assy seats on. If you accidently left that off #3 valve, it will be causing the float to let more fuel into the bowl than is ideal, causing that carb to run rich, especially down low in the rev range.
      Did you set all the floats at the correct height before re-asssembly?
      That plug looks rich to me. Oil leaves a more shinny black film on the plug base.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Did you try swaping the plug wires on 2 and 3 just to rule out the coil or spark plug wire. I dought its this but I had a plug that looked just like that but it was my #4 I was poking around and found in my haste to put it back together I forgot to tighten the clamps on the boots from the air box to carbs they were just sitting there. I also had a exhaust leak where the #3 and #4 pipes come together which I just got sealed. After fixing both of those probems I went for a 70 mile spin yesterday came home pulled the #4 and it looked like the other plugs. I supect it was more the exhaust leak throwing things out of balence than the loose clamps. But I dont get the little back firing noise I used to before I tighten the clamps. I guess this is just food for thought. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          And I think I chase my tail sometimes.
          Have a look at the needles and needle jets and make sure they are the same part numbers and not worn.
          Does look like fuel though. Any chance it's oil?

I checked all the component p/n's when it was apart - no differences.

Not sure I could tell if things are that worn, but all jets & seats the same ans only #3 is black.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            What Chef said, plus did you check the condition of the needle valves while you had the carbs apart. If the tips are worn, that will cause flooding. They also have a washer that the assy seats on. If you accidently left that off #3 valve, it will be causing the float to let more fuel into the bowl than is ideal, causing that carb to run rich, especially down low in the rev range.
            Did you set all the floats at the correct height before re-asssembly?
            That plug looks rich to me. Oil leaves a more shinny black film on the plug base.
            Yes, I thought of this - forgot to document this in my initial expalnation, but I actually checked the fuel level (not float height) in the #3 bowl. It was spot-on at 5mm.

I also replaced all the needle valves when i rebuilt the carbs.

I'm wondering, perhaps a mis-sized main jet??

Thanks
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Had a similar problem. If your using after market K&L jets, swap them out for actual Mikuni jets.

On another note, double check the timing on both the 1-4 & 2-3 pickups for the Dyna ignition. I found they were not set correctly out of the box and had to make adjustments to both rather than just adjusting the whole plate like you would normally do.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my #4 cylinder. Maybe this applies to your #3.

Remove the #3 airscrew (top, engine side of carb) and look at the components. That consists of screw, spring, washer and o-ring. Check for corrosion of the spring and washer. Water can sit in the recess of the air-screw and leak into it.

That corrosion can get in the passages and plug things up in your idle and off-idle circuits. This eventually fouls the plug. You can clean the passages and think your problem is solved, but the corrosion continues and it happens again.

If you find corrosion, spray out the circuits with carb cleaner and compressed air and replace the corroded items.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                  Had a similar problem. If your using after market K&L jets, swap them out for actual Mikuni jets.
                  Yes, I do believe I will do that - Chef warned me of those K&L main jets long ago & I didn't listen. Would be sweet if this fixes the issue...

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                  On another note, double check the timing on both the 1-4 & 2-3 pickups for the Dyna ignition. I found they were not set correctly out of the box and had to make adjustments to both rather than just adjusting the whole plate like you would normally do.
                  I don't have a Dyna S ignition installed - just the Dyna coils for now; although I do have one sitting here in a box I bought last year...

Thanks for the suggestions...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by flyingace View Post
                    I had a similar problem with my #4 cylinder. Maybe this applies to your #3.

Remove the #3 airscrew (top, engine side of carb) and look at the components. That consists of screw, spring, washer and o-ring. Check for corrosion of the spring and washer. Water can sit in the recess of the air-screw and leak into it.

That corrosion can get in the passages and plug things up in your idle and off-idle circuits. This eventually fouls the plug. You can clean the passages and think your problem is solved, but the corrosion continues and it happens again.

If you find corrosion, spray out the circuits with carb cleaner and compressed air and replace the corroded items.
                    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, i had removed & cleaned ALL the mixture screws when I dipped the carbs earlier this Spring. You're right, they were pretty well crudded up... Nice & clean now though.

Thanks,
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

If there was crud, dipping won't be enough. You HAVE to use spray cleaner and compressed air.

Comment

My only suggestion goes back to basics before we all "assume" something.

Are you counting cylinders from left to right? That is, from clutch hand to throttle hand?

If so, I can only suggest going back and checking details. If you are counting in the other direction, it might be the petcock diaphragm.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Are you counting cylinders from left to right? That is, from clutch hand to throttle hand?
                          Jeez Steve, I'm not THAT inept !

I just finished taking the carbs off & replacing the main & pilot jets with Mikuni jets. I did some carb passage spraying & compressed air blowing as well to be on the safe side. If this doesn't work, then I guess I'll be re-dipping again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mike
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Well... changing the jets didn't work - still got a black plug !!

I'll let it sit overnight & tomorrow night I'm going to re-check the valve clearances. Depending on what i find, I would guess re-dipping is next.

Just thinking about ALL possibilities - if its oil fouling, what is the most likely reason?? The compression is very good, >150#.

I'm not a good enough "backyard mechanic" to know

Thanks,

mike
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Valve stem oil seals can get hard and leak with age. Oil control rings also sometimes stick. Is the bike fouling plugs? Wonder if the choke could be hanging up and leaking gas inside the carbs? Did you check the slide diaphragms?

If it's not fouling the plug, Seafoam and a B7 plug might be worth a try.

Hope you figure it out.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X