Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS550E Anyone recommend a clutch kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS550E Anyone recommend a clutch kit?

Should i buy the OEM clutch discs individually or is there a good clutch kit available?

Also what other parts should i replace on the clutch to do it right?

Thanks everyone.

Bought it new.

Because I am a sissy and a wimp - I went straight to the Suzuki dealer.
    Rotor cost me $250.69
    Starter clutch $134.09
    Wife is ****ed.
    Note - Suzuki no longer makes the 3 bolts that attach the rotor to the starter clutch. Got my parts today - only to find - no three bolts. Even after I told the guy "make sure the 3 bolts get ordered, as that's what caused my problem in the first place". He said - well its in the picture so they must be included. Today he says - sorry, guess I was wrong.
    Steve is ****ed.

OOps - sorry, I just have starter clutchs on the brain
    Last edited by Steven Conlan; 09-16-2008, 06:55 PM. Reason: missread
    85 1150E

Comment

I bought my plates and fibers from the dealer and it cost me about I forget, but my friend went to dennis kirk and bought his for 70 bucks and he has had no problems yet

Comment

Thank you both , i'm waiting on my rotor and starter clutch, didn't know about the three bolts i will definetly have to find those.

I will check dennis kirk-is there a particular brand i should look for when i check? if they don't have it i will have to go to the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Conlan View Post
          Because I am a sissy and a wimp - I went straight to the Suzuki dealer.
          Rotor cost me $250.69
          Starter clutch $134.09
          Wife is ****ed.
          Note - Suzuki no longer makes the 3 bolts that attach the rotor to the starter clutch. Got my parts today - only to find - no three bolts. Even after I told the guy "make sure the 3 bolts get ordered, as that's what caused my problem in the first place". He said - well its in the picture so they must be included. Today he says - sorry, guess I was wrong.
          Steve is ****ed.

OOps - sorry, I just have starter clutchs on the brain
          LOL you are funny ( sissy and a wimp- i don't think so! i have yet to order anything that wasn't from the dealer so god help me with this bike!)

I checked out dennis kirk and all they had was the clutch discs, so i ordered new discs which were only $15.00 more than the versus kit, washers and plates from suzuki dealer, all the advice is geratly appreciated.

Oh and i just realized my oil drain bolt threads are stripped !!! guess who's going to have fun tapping that and trying to find a big enough bolt!! you guessed it......me! i feel your pain.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2008, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Updating this thread also.

Fixed the stripped oil pan thread with a product from Advance Auto Parts.

It is a tap that does NOT need a hole to be drilled over size, it comes with three different length threaded rings both inside and outside threads.

Tap the hole

And choose which length is best, i used the middle one which is about 1/2 an inch long.

The inside thread pitch size is 14-1.25 the stock oil drain plug fit perfectly.

Also replaced the clutch pack with OEM discs and plates-bike is so much eaiser to control at lower speeds now works like a dream! New starter cltuch and rotor as well as stator and r/r so bike is finally charging great.

The thread repair kit is $29.99 but worth every penny and has a steel ring NOT a helicoil so it should last indefinetly.

Hope this helps. Thanks again everyone!
            Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2008, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
              Updating this thread also.

Fixed the stripped oil pan thread with a product from Advance Auto Parts.

It is a tap that does NOT need a hole to be drilled over size, it comes with three different length threaded rings both inside and outside threads.

Tap the hole

And choose which length is best, i used the middle one which is about 1/2 an inch long.

The inside thread pitch size is 14-1.25 the stock oil drain plug fit perfectly.

Also replaced the clutch pack with OEM discs and plates-bike is so much eaiser to control at lower speeds now works like a dream!

The kit is $29.99 but worth every penny and has a steel ring NOT a helicoil so it should last indefinetly.

Hope this helps.
              Are you sure you needed plates and fibres? I have on all three of my bikes, two of which were/are 1100s (a G and an ES) with over 30K on them, and neither needed plates or fibers. Only SPRINGS. Alot of people assume that when their clutch starts to slip the fibers are bad, and this is not the case. You can measure your plates and fibers to see if they are still within tollerances, most times its simply the springs unless its got HIGH miles on it, or had been grossly abused. Just trying to save you a few bucks. 100 bucks for plates and fibers vs 30 bucks maybe for springs.

Comment

The clutch was never slipping, i replaced the clutch because i noticed the fibers were very low and the clutch engagement seemed long making riding around town a chore.

And the PO had dropped this bike like a hot potato seems like more than once and he messed up the carb jetting as well as the electrics which i have now rewired, so i definetly did not trust that he touched the clutch, and lo and behold the PO MESSED up again, he put the wrong steel plates in!! so how much damage this would have done and how long it would have lasted is anyones guess-better safe than sorry on the open road!

The plates etc i replaced because i want this bike to be reliable and i wanted to trust that what i have will not leave me stranded somewhere. The roads down here are dark and good samaritans are hard to come by in the middle of the night!

Generally though if the parts are within specs you don't have to replace anything.

Thanks for the help.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2008, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X