GSL 850 Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSL 850 Seat

I don't know if this is the right area to post this ( I just registered), but I'll give it a whirl.

My 1983 GSL850 is a great bike, but may have the world's most uncomfortable seat. Are there any options out there that I could just order one to slip on it, or am I going to have to get it re-done completely? It pushes the rider a bit uncomfortably and causes me to want to stop riding after a couple of hundred miles. Suggestions, anyone?

I feel your pain. There are several options you could go with. A seat pad (sheepskin, beaded, gel, air pad) or a custom seat. I have had good luck with the sheepskin pads or beads. Both help to take the pain out of your butt. The sheepskin I ordered from Alaska Leathers(use code deadsheep to get 10% discount) and the beads came from beadrider.com. Both are reasonably priced. The next step up in price would be gel seat pad. The most expensive is the airhawk air seat pad.

Here is a link to a good article

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

that give pros/cons of each.

Custom seats are another option but they are expensive. Alot depends on your budget and how far you ride your bike.

Comment

"Expensive" is a very relative term. We got the double-bucket seat for my wife's '82 850 from Saddlemen. I thought the $150 or so was very reasonable.

If you want to talk expen$ive, the seat I would like to get for my Wing is a mere $1400.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"Expensive" is a very relative term.
        The buttpads are about $40 the beads are about the same. Gel pads about $80-100. IMHO there is a considerable difference between $40 and $150. I don't think $150 is alot for a complete seat (nice seat BTW) what I was refering to was the $400 price tag of a corbin seat. I can't justify spending half the cost of the bike on just the seat.

Comment

there is a mustang seat like steve's on ebay ending soon....

Comment

Originally posted by OhioEric View Post
            there is a mustang seat like steve's on ebay ending soon....
            sold for $123.50... yikes!

Comment

This was on a "G" seat, but I've used the same process on a "GL" seat with excellent results:

Basically, that's a foam insert made from Sargent's Supercell Atomic foam. Rough shaping was with an old electric knife, and fine shaping with a course sanding block. It's glued in place with spray upholstery adhesive.

You just call up Sargent (look through their web site for the number) and order a slab of foam in the size you need. I used the 1.5 inch thickness.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X