Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this normal?

Hello everyone,

In previous post I told you about carb #3 dumping fuel, well that is fixed. Thanks Earl for your input . Now the only problem I seem to have with losing fuel is when I stand the bike up first thing in the morning. A little fuel drips out of one or two of my vent tubes. It seems to probably be from sloshing in the float chamber. Is this normal?

Thanks everyone for all previous and present help,
    Billy Miles

sounds like you still have a bit of a needle valve, or float level problem.
    when you clean the needle valves, make sure the little spring loaded plunger on the back of them moves freely and does not stick in.

Comment

Re: is this normal?

Nope, not normal. I hate to he bugger about this, but either your float level is set too high or you still have a float needle not sealing. Most likely is probably the float level. There is a range for float level settings. Try going with a millimeter or so lower fuel level.

Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
      Hello everyone,

In previous post I told you about carb #3 dumping fuel, well that is fixed. Thanks Earl for your input . Now the only problem I seem to have with losing fuel is when I stand the bike up first thing in the morning. A little fuel drips out of one or two of my vent tubes. It seems to probably be from sloshing in the float chamber. Is this normal?

Thanks everyone for all previous and present help,
      Billy Miles
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

By lower, you mean a numerically higher settting, right? I just want to be sure. I went by the Clymer manual, and set them at 26mm, which seemed like alot at the time, since the tang on the original floats were not bent at all. What should be a maximum setting, approximately?
        Thanks,
        Billy Miles

Comment

Yes, you're correct. With the carbs upside down and the float weight resting on the float needle valve, the measurement is from the surface the gasket rests on to the top of the float. (the measurement is taken without the gasket in place) The Clymer should give a range for the float settings.
          Since you have a very slight drip, I think you're close, so I would try 27mm.
          (which just happens to be the same measurement I use on my 750) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by 78gs550
          By lower, you mean a numerically higher settting, right? I just want to be sure. I went by the Clymer manual, and set them at 26mm, which seemed like alot at the time, since the tang on the original floats were not bent at all. What should be a maximum setting, approximately?
          Thanks,
          Billy Miles
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
          X