carb problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb problem

Hey everybody!! I am working on a 1978 GS850 and I encountered a major problem. These carbs have air screws that taper down super fine and the tip on one is broke and still in the carb body. The screw came out without any resistance so I am pretty sure it was already broke. Has anyone ever encountered this problem or have any suggestions on how to get it out? I thought if I could access the little hole on the inside of the venturi tunnel and hit it with compressed air maybe that would dislodge it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Originally posted by lrburke View Post
    Hey everybody!! I am working on a 1978 GS850 and I encountered a major problem. These carbs have air screws that taper down super fine and the tip on one is broke and still in the carb body. The screw came out without any resistance so I am pretty sure it was already broke. Has anyone ever encountered this problem or have any suggestions on how to get it out? I thought if I could access the little hole on the inside of the venturi tunnel and hit it with compressed air maybe that would dislodge it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    A sharp awl or dental pick works well to get these out, just be careful not to enlarge the hole too much. If you do a search on here you will find pics of the problem and how others have gone through this and fixed it with no problem.

Hope this helps

Comment

carb problem

Can you still find these air screws anywhere? This one is no good!! Thanks

Comment

Go genuine Suzuki for a new one, should be readily available.

Comment

Before you stick anything in there that might enlarge the hole, check to see if the tip is sticking into the carb throat. If it is, use the flat side of a screwdriver to press it back down. There is no chance of damage to the hole if this works. You should hear a snap when the tip dislodges, then flush it out with carb spray and/or compressed air.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by lrburke View Post
            Can you still find these air screws anywhere? This one is no good!! Thanks
            They are expensive if you can find them. But what you can do is buy a K&L carb rebuild kit for a 76-79 GS750. That kit includes the pilot fuel screw.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

solution...sort of

I went through the exact same problem just 3 weeks ago. I tore down my 4 VM carbs and the #2 and #4 both had their tips broken off. #2 was wedged and how. The tip was not showing so there was nothing to tap down. First I carb dipped her, no go. Then I boiled it in water, no go. Then I bent a small wire and tried to dislodge it, no go. In the end I went to Canadian Tire and bought a set of awls. I ground two of them down to a veryyyyy fine tip. I place the awl down the carb and tried my best to centre it in the hole and you guessed it hit it with hammer...not once but twice before that damn things dislodged. I wouldn't recommend that unless it was a last resort, but it did work. I've since put everything back together and have set the mixture screw down further than OEM to adjust for the larger hole, and it is larger but the bike is running, I'm just waiting for my carb syncher to fine tune everything before I will truly know if I am going to get away with the hammer and awl trick. Other's on this site have had to do the same thing and they said their bikes are running fine afterwards. Just a heads up, I ordered my new mixture screw from Z1, it only comes in the rebuild kit not individually but it was the right size and fit perfectly. Best of luck.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
              X