Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the secret?

What's up Everyone?

I have a 1983 gs1100e. I replaced the valve cover gasket once before with a factory gasket but it still leaks. I tightened every bolt to specs. Can anyone tell what's the secret on getting that thing not to leak?

Thanks, Supavert

Where's the leak?? cam chain tunnel? end plugs? or where? The end plugs are the normal places for leaks. Are you sure it's your valve cover, I thought mine was leaking, on my "83" 1100, but now I'm thinking it's the head gasket. Oil doesn't show up till appx. 20 mi. riding, very slow leak, just getting the right top of the eng wet with oil. I've changed the tach seal & the valve cover gasket but nothing has changed, still getting the top right wet after 20+ mi. What else could it be???
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When I replaced my gasket after doing the valve adj I replaced the half moons too "end plugs" and it leaked so i lifted up the cover again and put a thin coat of Permatex under them and put it back together, no more leaks. Did you do a good job of cleaning off the old gasket, there are some hard places to reach and its very important to get it all off and clean.
      Hope this helps, Good luck.

Comment

I also needed to use black Permatex on the tops and bottoms of the half moon plugs to cure leakage.

Comment

The metal surfaces have to be really clean and smooth before you reassemble. You'd think gaskets would compensate for that, but they can only do so much.

Comment

Also check the cam chain tensioner in the back under the carbs. I had a small leak on my 83 1100E and the damn thing would travel to the front driving me nuts.
            Go figure, but I fixed that leak and the other went away.
            Last edited by crag antler; 09-18-2008, 09:18 AM. Reason: typos
            Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
            2000 Kawasaki Concours
            Please wear ATGATT

Comment

It started leaking from the top front end of the motor on the exhaust.

Comment

Have you considered using a silicone rubber reusable 'Real Gasket'?
                Real Gaskets Tennessee is a manufacturer of silicone rubber valve cover gaskets for aircraft engines, automobile engines, and motorcycle engines.

I have installed one on my bike, with good results (no leaks). If you do go with this, be sure to scrape all traces of the OEM gasket off, and use solvent of some sort to degrease the surface (gasket must go on dry). Lastly, pay careful attention to the tightening torque....I think it is only like 15 inch/pounds....if you do not have a wrench that goes that low, it is approx. finger-tight + 1/2 turn. Over tightening or using the OEM torque specs will ruin the gasket, and the bike will immediately leak much worse than before.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

If your sure it is the cover I would check it for warpage

Comment

+1 on going for the RealGasket and being done with leaks

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
                      +1 on going for the RealGasket and being done with leaks
                      Be VERY careful with ANYTHING other than the stock valve cover gaskets as you can DESTROY the tack drive gear in the valve cover AND on the camshaft! Ray.

Comment

The Realgasket is thick and has a habit of chewing the cam worm gear for the tach on the 16 valve 1100s.
                        I had the same problem with the 24 bolt cover and use a thin coat of Permatex on the front and rear cam chain tunnel and the half moons.
                        When using a stock gasket oil it and retourque it after it gets hot a few times. This will seal it unless you have a warped head or cover.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can tell you don't use dial up Ray!!
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X