how do you guys get yours so clean???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you guys get yours so clean???

I tried cleaning my baby yesterday, and while alot of the dirt and stuff on the pipes came off, alot didnt. Theres alot of varnish or something on the side cases too. How do you guys do it? I always see such immaculate bikes!

I want mine to look proud

I'm way too busy riding to be bothered with cleaning my bikes. If I have to make a repair, I'll clean the area that I am working on in order to keep it all straight. The rain will take care of the rest.

Comment

Patience and elbow grease. Some buffing compound, aircraft stripper and a buffing wheel help too :P

Comment

There are polishing addictees here, lol. My plan is to polish everything I can over the winter while I'm working on other parts.

As for the varnish/clear coat, I sanded mine off. Most people I think use chemical strippers because it saves a lot of energy.

Comment

Simple Green on the engine. Scrub it forever and it will come clean. Aircraft stripper on the side covers followed by sanding and polishing. S100 engine brightner on the black stuff.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I second the simple green on the engine. The key is few misc. brushes and patience.
            I start at the carwash using the wand type and the engine/tire cleraning solution. Spray everything but the guages down with that and then rinse.
            I then move to the driveway and the Simple green with a toothbrush or a brass bristled brush on the cooling fins of the motor. Again rinse well and let dry.
            Chrome polish on the pipes and mufflers
            Mother's aluminum polish for the wheels and cases if the're not clearcoated.

The most important thing I feel is the use of wax after you have spent the time to do all this other work.

Don't forget that wax and polish are NOT the same thing. Polish has an abrasive in it and does nothing to protect. Wax has no abrasive and only protects.

I use Black Magic spray wax and a microfiber cloth on almost everthing but the seat. I use it after every wash and it takes about 10-15 minutes for the 850G or about 1 beer if I consume it fast because it is hot outside. (the beer not the wax)

Doing this leaves an really great shine and dirt/bugs come off very easily the next time you wash.

I use a spray on tire foam for the sidewall of the tires as well. I don't spray directly on the tires, I shoot the foam onto rag then wipe the sidewalls. Brake dust isn't a pain anymore.

Hope this helps,

Jim
            GS Score Card
            4-400 Series GS's
            3-500 Series
            1-600 Series
            1-700 Series
            4-800 Series
            1-1000 Series
            2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              Simple Green on the engine. Scrub it forever and it will come clean. Aircraft stripper on the side covers followed by sanding and polishing. S100 engine brightner on the black stuff.

whats S100?

Comment

They sell it at Harley Shops and it Ain't cheap! But it is good!
                sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Available at most M/C shops, or online, like Dennis Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by OhioEric View Post
                    whats S100?
                    You use it kind of like how you use Armor-all. Spray it on, wipe it off. It works great on black plastic, cables, rubber, seats, and tire sidewalls. And it is unsurpassed on black engines. It is not bothered by the heat. In fact is likes heat. It will take a dull or faded black engine and bring it back to life. And it lasts through several washings. About 9 bucks a can, but well worth it.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I take pictures from far away.
                      Bruce! Put the 1150 back together and slowly back away.
                      Last edited by chef1366; 09-19-2008, 03:31 AM.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        i take pictures form far away.
                        Bruce! Put the 1150 back together and slowly back away.

Good thing I have an air compressor!
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                          I'm way too busy riding to be bothered with cleaning my bikes. If I have to make a repair, I'll clean the area that I am working on in order to keep it all straight. The rain will take care of the rest.
                          This was my last bout with rain on my 1000:

It took me forever to get it clean again. It was like a giant baby crapped all over it.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

wow, you drivin on wet muddy roads? im lucky if i take my bike to the car wash once a month just to get mud off, other then that the rain takes care of mine. till this winter when i rip her all apart and clean everything and repaint all, then maybe ill clean it a bit more

Comment

The weather is nice over here, that's my secret.
                              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                              X