Starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issue

I have an 86 GS550E that I have spent quite a bit of time on. I am not sure if I posted this question or not, so here goes. I have an intermittent issue with starting the bike. I put the key in the ignition and turn to on, put my rocker switch to the run position, pull in my clutch and when I press the start button sometimes I get nothing at all, sometimes I hear a solenoid or relay clicking and other times it starts. I have checked for continuity on the start switch and it is fine, and I have checked the clutch switch and that appears fine also. When I first got this bike last summer the clutch switch was bypassed, but when I tested it, it seemed to work so I re-connected it. Any suggestions?

If it starts sometimes and you hear your solenoid clicking at other times, I would be suspicious of the battery. It could also be a poor connection but I doubt that. Don't be fooled into thinking it's your solenoid; it's almost certainly not. Let us know!
    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Originally posted by new_gser View Post
      When I first got this bike last summer the clutch switch was bypassed, but when I tested it, it seemed to work so I re-connected it. Any suggestions?
      The fact that it was bypassed tells me it was a problem for the PO. Take it apart and clean it and lube it with dielectric points grease. If you need a new copper or spring you can get them from Bike Bandit cheap. Sometimes they just get really dirty and don't contact. Otherwise bypass it again and motor on.

Comment

Try cleaning the kill switch.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I will check all the switches again and if I need to I will bypass the clutch switch. I don't think it would be the battery as I have a new one. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

If you only hear the solenoid clicking sometimes then its something before the solenoid like the start button,clutch switch or wiring between them.
            If you hear it clicking all the time it could be the power lead from the solenoid to the starter or from the battery to solenoid or a poor ground from the starter.
            The clutch switch and start button are good culprits, both get dirty and make poor contacts and are easy to clean with some steel wool even if they look good it wouldn't hurt to shine them up and put some dielectric grease on them. You should also check the bullet connectors where they hook together. This would be if you only hear the solenoid sometimes.
            If the springs are bad you can replace them with 1 from an old ball point pen cut to length. Hope this helps, Good luck.

Comment

Have the day off today so I took the start switch apart. It was pretty dirty so I cleaned the contacts and the spring. So far it has started every time. If the problem comes back I will bypass the clutch switch next.

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
                If you only hear the solenoid clicking sometimes then its something before the solenoid like the start button,clutch switch or wiring between them.
                If you hear it clicking all the time it could be the power lead from the solenoid to the starter or from the battery to solenoid or a poor ground from the starter.
                The clutch switch and start button are good culprits, both get dirty and make poor contacts and are easy to clean with some steel wool even if they look good it wouldn't hurt to shine them up and put some dielectric grease on them. You should also check the bullet connectors where they hook together. This would be if you only hear the solenoid sometimes.
                If the springs are bad you can replace them with 1 from an old ball point pen cut to length. Hope this helps, Good luck.
                I think this advice could be a "sticky" considering how many times this question comes up; it's perfect, in my opinion, and says it all.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

My starter is doing something odd. When I press the button it clicks, but if I put it in gear, let the clutch out, roll it a little, then pull in the clutch and press the button it starts. Not all the time but at times. Could this be broken teeth or something?

Comment

Geoff,sounds like your starter is the problem. The armature in the starter stops where the brushes are at a good spot on the armature, & it starts fine. If the armature stops where the brushes contact a dirty, or carboned, spot on the armature, you get nothing but the click of the solenoid. By rocking the bike, the starter gear turns the armature a little, & the brushes again are against a good, clean, spot, & it starts fine. Just my opinion
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Cool I'll try that. The battery is new, was bought over the summer. I was thinking maybe it doesn't have much for cold cranking amps? It was 32 today and was turning over hard if at all, but it pop started just fine.

Comment

If you are going to take the starter apart to clean it, I'd suggest getting a new set of brushes before you start. 95% chance the old brushes are worn, & could be the cause of your problem. Do it all while you're in there.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff4130 View Post
                          The battery is new, was bought over the summer.
                          Might be a 'new' battery, but is it a 'good' battery?

Question: Was it PROPERLY charged before it was put into the bike?
                          Most people just fill it with acid, stuff it in the bike and hit the starter.
                          This will just about guarantee that the battery will never be up to more than about 80% of its full capacity.

Next question: Has the battery been charged at all since you got it this summer?
                          Even a good battery will lose some of its charge over time.
                          Over the course of a few months, it would not be surprising to find that it would not turn over the starter now.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, reaaaaaaaally dumb question. Where is the starter? Is it the ignition on the right side by the bottom?

I didn't buy the battery, the PO did thinking that is why it wouldn't start, but that issue was the pos. battery cable. I should get a trickle charger for it I suppose.

Comment

Hi Mr. Geoff4130,

Your starter will be right behind the #1 cylinder, under that cover on top of the crankcase.

Ignition is under the right crankcase cover.

If you don't have a manual, feel free to download one from my website. There's an '83 550E/ES/L that's probably close enough to get you more familiar with your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2008, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X