I screwed up big this time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I screwed up big this time...

Changed my oil today, stripped the threads on the posts that the acorn nuts screw onto to hold the oil filter cover on.

Turned my bike on, "POP", bottom knut comes flying off, oil everywhere.

Can I replace these posts somehow or am I pretty much screwed?

You should be able to remove them with a stud remover. the hardware store probably has replacement studs

Comment

Yep they can be removed. If you don't find them at the hardware store, bikebandit has em for .98 cents.

Comment

Alright thanks for the info. I'll try getting them out with some vice grips tomorrow. It's dark here and I'm not moving the bike into the garage with it dripping oil everywhere.

Just when I got the brakes buttoned up and was ready to ride tonight...

Comment

Anyone have any ideas before I run out and buy a stud puller? Vice grips and pliers didn't work, and I'm hesitant to buy a stud puller because it might not fit down there because its pretty tight around the oil filter cover.

Comment

I just called every hardware store near me, no one has a stud remover.

What now? SIGH

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
              Anyone have any ideas before I run out and buy a stud puller? Vice grips and pliers didn't work, and I'm hesitant to buy a stud puller because it might not fit down there because its pretty tight around the oil filter cover.
              If there is enough thread left, you can find some normal nuts that will thread on to the stud (ie. not acorn nuts) spin 2 or 3 of them onto the stud, tighten them together, then get a long socket over all of them, and try to pull the stud. Can't guarantee that will work, but thats how we used to get cylinder studs out of vespa cases. May be worth a shot...

Comment

if there are any threads left, jam 2 nuts (6x1.0) together and turn the inner one to remove the stud. or put one nut on and weld the sucker.

Comment

If you use the small vice grips, you should be able to grip the stud and unscrew it very slowly and carefully. Work it back and forth, apply penetrating oil very liberally, they'll come out. Make sure when you replace them that you get the right metric thread for the stud (I can't remember which it is at the moment). Normally I'd say double nut it, and back them out that way, but if you've stripped all the threads off of the studs, obviously, that won't work. (on edit): I also have a very small pipe wrench (6") that I use for removing stuck studs.
                  Good luck, work on it carefully, it takes time to correct a problem of this nature.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-19-2008, 01:44 PM. Reason: 'nother tool........

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
                    I just called every hardware store near me, no one has a stud remover.

What now? SIGH
                    I'm sure Sears or an auto-parts store would have (although I'd try vise grips first).

Comment

There are some threads left, just not near the end where the little tip sticks out to hold the filter cover on.

I hadn't thought of the two nut idea, thanks guys. You guys are why I still have my bike and it hasn't been set on fire yet.

Comment

when this happened to me....

I just borrowed a dremel tool from my neighbor, cut a slot in the top and used a flathead screwdriver to get them out.....could maybe use a hacksaw blade manually I think.....

Comment

I had the same thing happen. Vice grips and several beers worked.

I replaced the studs with bolts (M6s if memory serves me..) and it seems to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by zach_denver View Post

I replaced the studs with bolts (M6s if memory serves me..) and it seems to work well.
                            Same thing here... I opted for several beers THEN the vice grips..

Comment

Originally posted by zach_denver View Post

Ok, all the studs are out, the nut idea worked great.

Zach, do you know what size thread bolts you used? I think I'm going to go the bolt route too but I need to know what size the threads should be.

I'm calling it thread size but I don't think thats the right term, how thick the shaft the threads are on is what I'm wondering.

Comment

Working...
                              X