gs450 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 carbs

First off, hi all! My neighbor just picked up a 1983 gs450 cruiser, and im his wrench so you'll be seeing a bit of me around.

Im sure its got a few issues im unaware of for now, but initial glances show a small oil leak, a busted tach, and dire need of new fork seals.

Anyway my question is...since id like to clean the carbs PROPERLY, does that guide on this site apply to the 450 carbs as well?

Thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by MyNeighborsGS View Post
    First off, hi all! My neighbor just picked up a 1983 gs450 cruiser, and im his wrench so you'll be seeing a bit of me around.

Im sure its got a few issues im unaware of for now, but initial glances show a small oil leak, a busted tach, and dire need of new fork seals.

Anyway my question is...since id like to clean the carbs PROPERLY, does that guide on this site apply to the 450 carbs as well?

Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, all CV carbs follow the same design and R&R format. Jet sizes and "O" rings vary, but the proceedure is the same.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

ah ha. they ARE CV carbs. Awesome...thanks so much!

Comment

The 450 carbs are slightly different but most of the clean up series is applicable.

You can get an O-ring kit from cycleorings.com – using “carb kits” is discouraged around here since the Mikuni brass parts rarely wear and are very high quality, something that can not always be said for all the kits out there. If you don’t see the 450 kit on the website, drop Mr. O-ring, Robert Barr – member here, an email asking for it. And don’t forget to get some intake pipe O-rings as well.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks again!
          Now, let me see if i understand you correctly.
          Youre saying dont buy one of those "all inclusive" carb kits as most of the parts are going to be fine....so i should just order some specific o-rings to seal her back up after the cleaning.

So...intake pipe o-rings. Check. I'll ask more questions as i go through the r&r if i get stuck.

Comment

Glad the forums are back online! Many thanks to the admin...

All went well with the cleaning of the first carb, but disaster struck in the second...the float pin mount snapped off. Dare i JB weld that thing?

I'm trying to source a new (used) set of carbs...but can anyone tell me which model Mikuni they are? I think the manual said 30mm? Anyone know of years or bikes i can source two carbs from? The faster the better of course...

Comment

carbs

They should be BS34ss. Think about getting float bowl gaskets as well.

Comment

your right they are bs34ss. bring that little girl back to life. save them all

Comment

the 500f has similar engine design. heads can be swaped with very little mods. ofcourse then u would be using slingshot type carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by MyNeighborsGS View Post
                    Glad the forums are back online! Many thanks to the admin...

All went well with the cleaning of the first carb, but disaster struck in the second...the float pin mount snapped off. Dare i JB weld that thing?

I'm trying to source a new (used) set of carbs...but can anyone tell me which model Mikuni they are? I think the manual said 30mm? Anyone know of years or bikes i can source two carbs from? The faster the better of course...
                    JB weld does work. Let it set for a couple of days before using. Build a good bridge of epoxy up and down the float post after getting it to bond.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

FIXED! Sort of...haha

We JB welded the whole thing back together after the soak, and it seem so to be holding and floating just fine!

Ironically, im pretty the OTHER carb is leaking gas out the air box throat. We're going to order some new needles and see if thats the cause of this all. they looked a little iffy when we were in there...

Comment

Working...
                      X