No announcement yet.

Stuck allen bolts - drastic action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully I'll have some time to look at this again today. Looking more and more like I'll have to go find a decent hardware store and see what they have.

I haven't tried my impact driver yet as I couldn't get it in there, but perhaps if I can find a suitable extension for it I may have success.

Also, I don't have an air impact tool either, and not sure if the budget will extend to one at this point in time.

Will see how far I can get with good old elbow grease and some hand tools.

Also, yes, the motor is out of the bike, it's upside down waiting for me to get these two bolts out so I can check out the gearbox etc.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Hopefully I'll have some time to look at this again today. Looking more and more like I'll have to go find a decent hardware store and see what they have.

I haven't tried my impact driver yet as I couldn't get it in there, but perhaps if I can find a suitable extension for it I may have success.

Also, I don't have an air impact tool either, and not sure if the budget will extend to one at this point in time.

Will see how far I can get with good old elbow grease and some hand tools.

Also, yes, the motor is out of the bike, it's upside down waiting for me to get these two bolts out so I can check out the gearbox etc.
      excellent so some hand toolls will suffice
      as Teddy Roosevelt said

walk softly and carry a wicked long breaker bar

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
        excellent so some hand toolls will suffice
        as Teddy Roosevelt said

walk softly and carry a wicked long breaker bar
        Yes, but we all know that for his advice to apply to motorcycle he meant a BFH.

A truly solid blow (or two) delivered squarely onto the end of the bolt can mean more than a hundred tiny ones.

The advantage of using air assist is that with every air "punch" there is also an element of twist, and the combination tends to work towards extraction.

Heat? Stay away from the "red=hot" or higher part as you are verging on melting the steel and since aluminum has a much lower melting point, you are likely to do serious damage there.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Well so much for getting time to have a go today! After relocating the phone socket from upstairs to downstairs, installing the old air con into the study, and working for an hour I just didn't get the time. Very disappointing.

Oh well, here's hoping for next weekend.

And as far as taking it to a shop goes, I'd love to, but the only day I ever get a chance to do anything is a Sunday, and in our wonderfully backwards city here all the bike shops shut on Sundays so the chances of getting it to a shop are very few and far between.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Give the heads of the allen bolts a serious sideways whack with a drift and hammer. If you can jolt the head os the bolt sideways then it will be a matter of screwing the bolts out. IMO it is not the threads that are stuck but the head of the bolt against the aluminium surface.

Comment

Working...
            X