82 GS850GL running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GL running rich

Here I am to date, dipped the carbs, replaced O rings carb and intake, bench sync'd, valve clearances are with in spec, adjusted the floats, air box sealed. Bike starts but will only run with a bit of twist on the throttle but not steady and not strong, all plugs are black and sooty so I thinking I am running rich.

I think I have my fuel and air screws out of whack. How many turns on each?

I feel I'm getting close to getting this bike running but am missing something, as I'm new to working on bikes this does not surprise me. Thanks for the assist.

It sounds like you're doing everything just about right so I think you're close to a perpetual smile as you glide down the road. Gently seat your mixture screws and then turn them all out 2 1/2 turns. That's a good starting point and your plugs shouldn't be off too far, one way or the other. (This is assuming you're running a stock system.)

If things aren't pretty close and you can't get it figured out, write again and tell us what's going on. I think you'll be fine. By the way, since you said it will only run with a "twist of the throttle", play with your idle screw ( between #2 and #3, as I'm sure you know) and it should idle at about 1000 RPM.
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 09-19-2008, 06:35 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

the only adjustable screws on your carbs would be the pilot mixture screws (top front of the carb bodies), the stock position is 3,5 turns out

if you had the carbs apart you need to re-set the idle adjuster screw again (when engine warm)
      GS850GT

Comment

What about the screws in the float bowl...they should be seated right?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Porosky View Post
          What about the screws in the float bowl...they should be seated right?
          ummmm, there are no adjustment screws in the float bowl.

If you mean the main jets (large round brass thing stamped 115), those should be seated snugly (not gorilla tight). The other things that screw in are the pilot jets (elongated, brass thing stamped 40), same process, seat snugly. There's also supposed to be a black rubber plug over this one, check that it's there - could be your black sooty plug issue.

good luck
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Those are the ones I was not sure of....I have replaced those rubber plugs with new ones. Thanks for the assist.

Comment

I've seen posts saying the pilot jets should be out...5/8-3/4 turn as I had them out to far and it ran rich, and now have them seated snug and it will not fire up..whats my next step? I think my air pilot screws are also seated snug...how many turns on them or is snug good?

So many screws to turn and no idea as to what to turn where is kinda frustrating, if someone can kinda point them out and tell me where they should be set I can get there. Thanks.

Comment

Harry,

Don't get frustrated, just do a search here for the information you need.

Other than the sync adjusters, there is only one adjustment on your carbs; the pilot screw on the top front. Set that screw to 2.5 turns from lightly seated. The jets are to be fully seated.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Porosky View Post
                  I've seen posts saying the pilot jets should be out...5/8-3/4 turn
                  you might be confusing the information for the VM carbs that indeed have two screws that need adjusting (air and fuel) but on your cv carbs all jets are fully seated and only the aforementioned pilot mixture screws (top front) need adjusting
                  Last edited by psyguy; 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM.
                  GS850GT

Comment

Thanks guys, everything is seated, the front top screws are 2 1/2 turns out..everything is back together and I'll try again in the AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X