Tank Cleaning: Phosphoric Acid vs. Rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Cleaning: Phosphoric Acid vs. Rubber

Will the rubber gasket/seal used on the sending unit in the tank hold up against the acid treatment I'm going to put in the tank?

I've fabricated from sheet metal a cover for the sending unit hole, and I'm using the sending unit's rubber gasket while I swish some diesel and chains around inside the tank.

I'm curious if I can use this rubber gasket when I do the acid treatment to the tank next.

Thanks a heap!

Don't use the gasket from the sending unit, use some rtv gasket maker (between the tank and sheet metal cover) or go to home depot and get a small piece of rubber sheet (usually available in the plumbing dept).
    You could also use a piece of rubber from an old inner tube. When you are soaking the tank, put the tank in a large plastic tub so if any acid leaks it won't do any damage.

Comment

To answer your question butyl rubber, natural rubber, neoprene, nitrile rubber, polyethylene and polyvinyl chloride all have good chemical resistance to 70% phosphoric acid. For our applications the concentrations are substantially weaker so all the above material would be suitable. I still would make my own gasket out of a scrap piece of rubber.

Comment

Are you talking about the rubber gasket that is glued to the tank? If so, mine held up fine with a 50-50 phosphoric acid and water solution. I used a sheet metal cover as you mentioned.

Comment

Watch the paint, don't worry about the rubber.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Why is anyone still using phosphoric acid?

I've used Evapo-Rust on a lot of rusty parts, and it actually works a lot better than phosphoric acid ever did. You can also leave your part in the Evapo-Rust as long as you like -- it won't harm sound metal.

This stuff is pretty much harmless to anything except rust -- you don't need rubber gloves or a hazmat suit. It even smells nice.

I've tried using phosphoric acid and its variations (naval jelly, etc.) many times, and it never seems to do a complete job. And then you have a hazardous acid to deal with.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Damn! Time to go get some!

Comment

Bwinger,

For the inside of a gas tank, would I fill the whole tank with the stuff?

And then to prevent flash rust, would I lightly coat the inside with the evapo-rust and let air dry?

At least that's what I'm thinking after looking over their website.

Finally, it sounds as though I can flush it down the toilet when done.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
                X