Vetter install -running light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter install -running light question

I'm installing a vetter windjammer 5 on a GS850gl and didn't know how to attach the running light wire. I have installed all of the turn signal and the high/low wires. But didn't know what color wire to attach the running light wire too. Vetter has a green running light wire ... Do I even need to attach this wire?

Thanks,
    John

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
    I'm installing a vetter windjammer 5 on a GS850gl and didn't know how to attach the running light wire. I have installed all of the turn signal and the high/low wires. But didn't know what color wire to attach the running light wire too. Vetter has a green running light wire ... Do I even need to attach this wire?

Thanks,
    John
    There should be an unused brown wire in the headlight bucket of US models. It was used for running lights in countries that required it.

Comment

No, it is not necessary to connect it, but it sure helps present a larger image to oncoming traffic.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        No, it is not necessary to connect it, but it sure helps present a larger image to oncoming traffic.
        Totally agree. Running lights are great for visibility and "presence." The Windjammer running lights are unmistakable for their wing-like appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
          Totally agree. Running lights are great for visibility and "presence." The Windjammer running lights are unmistakable for their wing-like appearance.

I will jump right on board with this.

Having the running lights connected and working is a V E R Y good idea.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If for some reason you should fail to find the "unused" brown wire mentioned above, you can always attach the running light wire to the tail-light lead or almost any "switched" power lead (on when the bike is switched on - off when the bike is switched off). Double check the fuse capability of whatever circuit you attach it to, but it's only two bulbs and doesn't draw a lot of amperage. Most any existing power wire ought to be fine. I believe I attached mine to the tail-light lead (don't remember anymore) and have never had a problem with it.

Oh and by the way, I agree 100% that hooking up the running lights is an excellent idea - you can never have too much visibility on a bike!

Regards,

Comment

Thanks,
              I did see the brown wire...It will be attached ASAP.

Next will be the cycle sound stereo. What's the best way to make that connection?

Can you tell electrics are not my forte.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Skunky View Post
                Next will be the cycle sound stereo. What's the best way to make that connection?
                John, I answered your PM on that question.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X