I wanna ride my 82 GS850GL!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanna ride my 82 GS850GL!!!!!

Well Sunday is the day...if I can not get this bike running it is going to the mechanic for a little pro TLC. I have it to where I think it needs to be...have a spare tank as my petcock is FUBAR, battery will charge overnight and I'll dive into it once more tomorrow.

To date, Carb's bench sync'd, cleaned, new O rings, valve clearances with-in spec, new plugs and caps, getting good spark, oil changed with a new filter, air filter cleaned and oiled, airbox sealed, compression checked while cold was decent.

So if I can not get her going with my limited mechanical skills I shall let the pro's have a whack at her. The forum's collective help has gotten me further than I could have gotten on my own so I thank you all for that. I will keep you informed.

Good luck Mr. Porosky, hope it meets your expectations in the AM.

I would be a little wary of the pros however, no one loves your bike like you do... plus, YOUR rate is a little cheaper

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
      Good luck Mr. Porosky, hope it meets your expectations in the AM.

I would be a little wary of the pros however, no one loves your bike like you do... plus, YOUR rate is a little cheaper

mike
      Pros, right.
      Thousand bucks later it will be so screwed up it can never run again.

Hopefully you can get it going yourself before it gets to that point of no return...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

OK Still will not run...started...idled for a minute then died and will not catch again. I'm going to go thru the carbs again. Last cleaning I dipped them for an hour each...everything looked good going back together...but maybe I missed something. Going to let each soak overnight and try again next weekend. Hopefully my new O rings will come out without damaging them. Oh well back to the drawing board.

I really would like to get this baby going myself and not have to bring it to the so called pro's...I do have a couple of guys down here that work on the old school bikes so I should be OK if it comes to that. But I'll give it 1 more week, need the bike as a daily driver so the kid can use the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Porosky View Post
          OK Still will not run...started...idled for a minute then died and will not catch again. I'm going to go thru the carbs again.
          Check fuel delivery before you turn the thing over to alleged 'pros'.

I don't mean just open a carb drain valve (although that's a good start). Put a fuel line on the petcock tap, run it into a gas can, and draw a vacuum on the petcock. Also try the Prime setting. See the fuel delivery rate with your own eyes.

'A minute' is about how long your bike would run on the fuel already present in the bowls. If it's not being replenished, or it takes forever due to impeded flow, it will stall and never start again (until the bowls are full enough again).
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I know my petcock is cooked and need a new one, gas just trickles out. Currently have a temp tank on it with the vac line capped.

Comment

While you have the carbs apart. Make sure the float heights are set correctly. If you haven't already.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
              X