not happy w/gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not happy w/gaskets

I have an 80 gs 550e. bought a vesrah gasket kit for the rebuild. the engine is back together and is running. I got oil coming out of everywhere. the head cover, the head and the right engine cover(where the clutch is). Maybe i shouldnt have used full synth. 10 40 engine oil. but i dont know. all the bolts/screws were torqued correctly. Anybody have any ideas????

I used athena gaskets now I have to pull the cylinder off because my base gasket is leaking. Good luck with yours.

Comment

I tell EVERY one of my customers that I will use ONLY STOCK Suzuki gaskets on my rebuilds. If they want different gaskets, NO warranty! Stock gaskets NEVER give me problems! Ray.

Comment

Try retorquing the head. It settled after it got hot.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

After several successful rebuilds in past years with Vesrah gaskets, I recently had one fail earlier this summer from a low-quality o-ring. I also discovered during the teardown that a couple of other o-rings were on the way to failure and that many of the gaskets were also developing cracks, after only about 12,000 miles and less than a year in service.

I think Vesrah has definitely declined in quality, so I will only install Suzuki gaskets and seals from now on.

With that said, if it's forcing oil out from several different places, perhaps there's another explanation -- is the breather on top of the valve cover plugged? If it is, this will allow air pressure from normal blowby to build up inside the engine and force oil past the gaskets and seals.

It's also not a good idea to run synthetic after a rebuild until the engine is broken in.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I retorqued my head bolts 2 weeks ago got maybe a quarter turn on the 4 outside acorn nuts with copper washer but still leaking. the athena gaskets did not line up very good I am confident the gasket is junk unless the surface is warped. I will check with a straight edge when i get it apart.

Comment

If the gaskets did not line up Could you have put them on upside down or recieved the wrong gasket set ???

Comment

Working...
              X