Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top end rebuilt, now revs higher!!!??!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top end rebuilt, now revs higher!!!??!!!

I have rebuilt the top end on a 81 GS750 DOHC. There are no leaks, I checked the timing before and after the cams were installed. I believe the choke, throttle and clutch cable are routed correctly. I also installed the exhaust and applied a silicone to help seal it.

I am having probelms with the engine RPM's. I rode it on the highway and at 70mph the RPM's show 7k in 5th gear. This is unusually abnormal; before I tore it down it would rev around 3k RPM's at 70mph. Also it appears that its RPMS stay constant because when i downshift it stays at around 5k RPM's. The bike only idles at 1k if I hold in the clutch slightly but revs up again when I hold the clutch in all the way.

The only thing I can think of to solve this is to lube the throttle cable.
    Does anyone know what I did wrong? has this happened to anyone else before? Any suggestions would be Gratefully appreciated.

could it be

could it also be that the camshaft chain tensioner is not applying tension on the camshaft chain?

Comment

i would think your clutch is slipping (possibly now having to handle more power than before the rebuild)
      take a measure of the plates and the springs
      most likely the springs need replacement
      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs750L View Post

I am having probelms with the engine RPM's. I rode it on the highway and at 70mph the RPM's show 7k in 5th gear. This is unusually abnormal; before I tore it down it would rev around 3k RPM's at 70mph. Also it appears that its RPMS stay constant because when i downshift it stays at around 5k RPM's. The bike only idles at 1k if I hold in the clutch slightly but revs up again when I hold the clutch in all the way.
        The only thing that could cause this particular oddity is some driveline anomaly. MAYBE a slipping clutch.

The idle RPM problem could be an intake leak and/or carbs out of sync, probably both, and HAS TO BE a separate problem.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

3K @ 70 mph before? That seems really low, because my 80 750L was at 4.5-5K at that speed, stock chain and sprockets.

I agree with the other posters, check the clutch.

Comment

Working...
          X