Honda Regulator/Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Regulator/Rectifier

Installed a Duanage, Honda regulator/rectifier in my GS550ES. Had to relocate the unit forward and below the original location. So far it is working great and doesn't get HOT like the Suzuki one with the much smaller heat sink area. Thanks Duane........

Hey Duane,

Theres another market for R/RSs on Bombardier Quads. My friend is having trouble right now on his 800 outlander and it sounds like its been going on with that group for years..............

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I got my R/R from Duane in May and my bike has been running great ever since!!

Ed

Comment

I too ordered a honda r/r from duane, for 83 GS550E,

It was so much bigger than the suzuki unit i cut the cross brace round tube behind the battery and fabricated a new mounting braket for the honda unit farther away from the battery box.

I also fabricated an air scoop for the left side panel to redirect more air to it.

Thanks Duane.

Comment

Update

Well since the forum went down i re did the r/r installation.

I moved the r/r to the left side of the battery and fabricated a mounting plate out of sheet steel.

This plate now has the r/r mounted to it as well as a CPU fan.

The CPU fan is engaged when the bike is in neutral and in first gear, and disengages when in all other gears, since air flow is highest when the bike is in motion.

It is a much cleaner installation and looks factory.

A note on the circuit the neutral is actually wired on a different circuit with the switch grounding it through the blue wire for anyone trying this.

Gears 1-6 are accessed through the harness plug connector under the tank.

Comment

humm will this work on a gs 1000

Comment

It should, however i forgot to mention i also installed a relay to the fan, not because it draws a lot of current, but because i did not want voltage fluctuations going to the voltmeter giving me false readings.

I'll post pics now that the forum is back.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Kenny View Post
                Installed a Duanage, Honda regulator/rectifier in my GS550ES. Had to relocate the unit forward and below the original location. So far it is working great and doesn't get HOT like the Suzuki one with the much smaller heat sink area. Thanks Duane........
                Hey Duane, I may have spoke too soon. I put a new battery in my GS550ES this year, and I noticed that it was low on charge which is strange for this bike. I checked my voltage and it is back up to 16-17 volts which will ruin my battery. I will take time to check all of the connections and make sure that they are good. I hope I have a loose wire or something and the the R/R has not failed. :-( Tom

Comment

The sense wire will cause this. Try attaching it to the battery and see if the voltage drops.
                  Last edited by chef1366; 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    The sense wire will cause this. Try attaching it to the barttery and see if the voltage drops.
                    I did the relay mod to my sense wire because of a high charge. My switched supply wire to the brakelight was only 10vdc. Thats where I connected my sense wire. I tried to clean every connector leading to it but nothing helped. I think its my ignition switch. Long story short.....Im dead on 14.5 vdc now.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I've put about 3000 miles on D's R/R with good results.

Comment

The sense wire will cause this. Try attaching it to the barttery and see if the voltage drops.
                        OK, Which one is the sense wire????

Comment

The black one.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Dirty switches will sometimes lower the voltage that ends up at the rear brake light switch. Obviously it is a good idea to measure what is on the orange wire and if significantly different from the battery find out what is stealing your volts.

The black wire tells the RR to up or down the charge voltage. Something OEM and the aftermarket RR don't do.

And yes it will work on a GS1000, I've lost count of how many went there.
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The black one.

Thanks much, I will try it tomorrow. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X