Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 Suzuki GS 550 L Carb Question

Hey,

With the help of this forum I was able to get an abused GS 550 running last summer and was able to start a carb rebuild this spring. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the carb rebuild this spring and it is now fall and I have my carbs in pieces that were unfortunately not labeled very well at all and I am kind of flustered as to putting them back together. I currently have all the individual carbs put together (I did this in the spring after cleaning them, replacing orings and gaskets). My problem is how they go back on the mounting plate and how the throttle shaft/choke/etc is put back on. If anyone has some good pictures of carbs from a 79 GS 550 (or similar carbs) I would greatly appreciate them. If no one has pictures I would be more than willing to take pictures of what I have and where I think things go and someone could correct me. Or, if anyone is located in the Twin Cities area in Minnesota I'd be more than willing to pay someone a few bucks to help me put these back together.

Thanks,

Jake

I should have a few more photos if these are not specific enough.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Try these as well. I have more if you need them.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Cheers

Comment

Thanks a bunch for those pictures.

Helped me get the carbs back together and hopefully working.

Comment

So I got the carbs back together successfully and decided to put on some pod air filters (mainly due to frustration from trying to get the stock airbox back on) but also because I have always like the look. From what I have read it is wise to get larger jets if you plan on running pods. I have what I believe are stock jets in right now (80), would moving up to 90 jets be a good place to start? I also have what I believe is a more free flowing exhaust which was bought from a member of this forum. Would it be wise to take the time and install this now and then work on the jetting or will jetting for pods and planning on installing the exhaust over the winter be a better plan?

Thanks,

Jake

Comment

I'm running 105 mains and 17.5 pilots with pods and stock exhaust. Similar setup as yours, got ****ed at the airbox.

Comment

Thanks for the jetting info.

Well my pods did not fit, which I could have predicted had a done a better job searching the forum. So I am back to just using the stock airbox. Anyone have a hint for getting the airbox back in a GS 550 L other than just brute force, swearing and grunting?

Comment

thats the way i do mine to. lots of swearing i use a big screw driver and pry it back while trying to put the carbs in. they are not fun at all.
                I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaGS View Post
                  Thanks for the jetting info.

Well my pods did not fit, which I could have predicted had a done a better job searching the forum. So I am back to just using the stock airbox. Anyone have a hint for getting the airbox back in a GS 550 L other than just brute force, swearing and grunting?
                  Try spraying a little silicone on the boot ID's - helps them slide over the carb ports...

Make sure the airbox boots are rotated in the correct position to match up squarely to the carbs.

After you get the airbox "on", tighten the inside clamps first - sometimes I use a long piece of wood as a lever to "push" the box/boots on each of carb ports while tightening the clamp.

good luck,

mike
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Airbox

Have just replaced K&N filters and jets back to original airbox and 80's main jet on advice of suzuki technical help on suzuki owners club uk. They claim it is the only way bike will run properly. Fitting the airbox was a nightmare. Used washing up liquid on carb collars, pushed with a plastic cone through airbox and inserted into individual airbox collars and finally this helped a lot in frozen Scotland used hair dryer (wife not happy) to soften plastic and levered with blunt masonry chisel behind jubilee clips and they slid into position just. Rebuilt whole bike running well but now 2 cylinder is not firing on idle and have prospect of taking carbs off again to clean pilot jet. taking advice on possibility of removing bowl only to attempt to remove pilot jet on 2 and swap with 1 while cleaning jet with hair brush bristle and carb cleaner. Anyone managed that?

Comment

Update had forgotten to plug vacuum hose as tank is off using extension tubing to fuel bike and petcock set to prime. Had left hose unplugged which connects to 2nd cylinder. all going now though. Cheers.

Comment

Regarding getting the bank of carbs onto the rubber sleeves without too much effort:
                        I was having the same (*^(&! problem putting the carbs back on. My next door neighbor is a retired mechanic. He heard me swearin' came over and asked if I have any brake fluid. Yep, he proceeded to slick up the opening rubber with brake fluid, and the carbs popped back in, no problem! This comes in real handy, given that I'm trying to synch these dang carbs and havin' a lot of difficulty, having to takin' em off and on. Just don't put too much brake fluid on or spill on painted parts. I tried silicone lube as well- doesn't work nearly as well/easily.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2008, 06:51 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Working...
                        X