Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible shrapnel?

On a 1980 gs450

I went down a few weeks ago, I thought that I didn't have any real big things broken. The more serious thing was that my left engine cover got hit, and the generator (the rotor part) assembly was damaged (the magnets cracked in several places)

After replacing most of the damaged parts today, I started it up, and there is a metal on metal noise. I did a compression test, it seems fine (120 on one side, 115 on the other), the noise gets louder and quiete at irregular intervals. I think that some of the magnet pieces made it into the engine/transmission. I guess my questions are:

a)has anyone had a similar experience
    b)any tips from anyone that's taken these engines apart, where should I start? (my instinct tells me to separate the bottom end, but then again, what do I really know about motorcycle engines? nothing)
    Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2008, 08:31 PM. Reason: email notification

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
    On a 1980 gs450

I went down a few weeks ago, I thought that I didn't have any real big things broken. The more serious thing was that my left engine cover got hit, and the generator (the rotor part) assembly was damaged (the magnets cracked in several places)

After replacing most of the damaged parts today, I started it up, and there is a metal on metal noise. I did a compression test, it seems fine (120 on one side, 115 on the other), the noise gets louder and quiete at irregular intervals. I think that some of the magnet pieces made it into the engine/transmission. I guess my questions are:

a)has anyone had a similar experience
    b)any tips from anyone that's taken these engines apart, where should I start? (my instinct tells me to separate the bottom end, but then again, what do I really know about motorcycle engines? nothing)
    Ironicly my rotor shows broken magnets but no pieces to be found the housing. I get a rattling noise in my engine before taking off the housing to relplace the rotor. Hopefully a new rotor, oil and filter will solve this, if not it is probably the cams off center in my case.

I suspected parts of the magnets might be in the case so i will have to take my pan off if i can do it without taking off the exhaust and check the pan for pieces of magnet.

If you can drop your pan without hassle do it and check for broken pieces.

Otherwise i would think being softer than metal the magnets may have disintigrated and wound up in the oil filter so check the filter.

My filter was super dirty but i did not find huge chunks of magnet, only tiny pieces of metal. Not enough to worry me.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Right after all this happened, the forums went down. Since then (cause I know peoples really want to know)

Yes, a piece of magnet made it into the engine. It got caught on the lower sprocket that drives the timing chain, causing the timing to go off. After a lot of flushing, retiming the cams, fixing my valve clearances with new shims (totally unrelated, but needed), and praying to the spaghetti monster, my 450 is running great and healthy.

And just because i have forum ADD, I'll also inform you that I am now rocking a Honda CB700sc front end, a GS 750 tank (4.8 gallons, i am ready to go on bombing missions without aerial refuelling), and a new 16" front tire. Bike feels and handles great. Pics to come some time this year.

Comment

That's great news, i finally finished replacing my rotor, stator and R/R, the bike ran exceptionally well until the starter blew, so now waiting on parts.

Changed the oil and filter and the engine runs quieter and smoother from not having magnet chinks sloshing in the case.

I'm going to weld up some case savers to avoid having to replace all this again in case i drop mine.

Comment

Working...
        X