1980 Suzuki GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Suzuki GS850G

I have a question for anyone who knows. What parts in the GS series line will fit and work on a 1980 Suzuki GS850G? I need a instrument cluster and a CDI and i would like to find out what parts will fit and work so i can get her on the road ASAP.PLEASE HELP ME. PM ME OR EMAIL ME at EricG85@gmail.com

79-81 gs850g and 80-81 gs1000g are the same
    L models have different gauges but should still fit easily
    CDI would be the same on L and standard models
    GS850GT

Comment

At least Stateside, the gauges from the 78-79 GS750C/E, 79-81 GS850G, and 80-81 GS1000G will be direct fitment. The pre 80 models will have speedometers that go to 140, the 80 and up models will have a speedo that goes to 85MPH.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. EricGS850G,

Please click here for your mega-welcome!

I'm sorry, I don't have any cross-matching parts information, but feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website for lots of GS850G lovin'. You'll find manuals, pictorial maintenance guides, instructions for how to post pictures (hint, hint!). Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          CDI would be the same on L and standard models
          Not necessarily.

When I was looking for an ignitor (the more-correct term for the "CDI") for my wife's '82 850L, I found there were two basic styles, and even within the basic style there were different part numbers. Part of the problem was that the parts diagrams showed the large unit for the '82 850L, but her bike definitely had the smaller one.

Here is the smaller one on her bike:
          (it's the part with the ND label that is below the starter solenoid and hiding under the large red wire, and has four wires coming out just to the right of the red wire)

Here is the larger one, as illustrated in the parts books:
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Not necessarily.
            he is asking about a pre-82 model
            pre 82 L and standard G use the same igniter, the part numbers are the same
            GS850GT

Comment

OK. I just wanted him (and others) to know that they were not all the same.

I did some looking around to see what would fit in my situation, and was surprised to find differences even within the same model year. I don't remember exactly which model or year, but the G model use one ignitor and the L model used the other.
              sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X